A Conversation for The Canadian Researchers' Club

Canuckle-heads

Post 81

Poe #242223

I think the expression is originally from our very own pointy-clawed Wolverine. At least I think so. Something from Alpha Team Comics (Poor Man's Canadian X-Men of long ago). I do remember a midget named Puck in there, though.smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Poe

Canuckle-heads

Post 82

clzoomer- a bit woobly

First heard it as a term for our team (I'm from now-suddenly-sodden Vancouver) when they were in a losing streak. Nice to hear the origins.

Off/on topic, I happen to have access to several original *Johnny Canuck* comics.

smiley - biggrin

Canuckle-heads

Post 83

Barneys Bucksaws

Sounds like a good name for a wolverine! I did a contract for 3 months at Red Lake Mine in the winter. My introduction to the warehouse, where I was supervisor was a sign on the door about a wolverine on the minesite! I'd never seen one, and had only a vague idea of what they look like. Someone eventually showed me a picture. Anyway, the warning was to the effect of not aproaching it, but contacting Security to deal with it. Fortunately, it seemed to go elsewhere. All the wildlife I saw on the minesite were ravens, foxes, and a wolf. There was a fox used to sleep at my apartment door.

Canuckle-heads

Post 84

YukonWolf

Some of our local First Nations have stories about wolverines chasing off grizzlies. They are tough animals, one researcher ending up making a wolverine trap from a stove just to keep the beast inside. Their Latin name is Gulo gulo, which I'm told means glutton.

Canuckle-heads

Post 85

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I always wondered why settlers chose to stay in places like Winnepeg and Yellowknife after they experienced an entire year. smiley - laugh

I guess those who didn't ended up here. smiley - biggrin

Canuckle-heads

Post 86

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Zoomer, I would love to see an entry on Johnny Canuck, or even just a few scanned pages.

SIGN ME UP!

Post 87

Ghost Rider©

I was born in the Uk, but my Paternal Grandfather was a Canuck who married an English Woman during the 2nd WW when he was here in the UK.

His name was Edwyn Philip Mason of Toronto, I have no other information. He died when I was 17 in 1976. My father died six months later. He was John Louis Peter Mason, his oldest Son.

My Grandmother left for Toronto in 1976. I never saw her again. She was Jean Mason of Leicester, Gt Britain. She tought me to cook and clean. She was my inspiration. I have some pain. I do not know where her grave is.

I have Uncles in Canada. Two of my Father's four Brothers are in Canada somewhere.

Does this history mean that I am able to join?

SIGN ME UP!

Post 88

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Rev, my step mum on the island has all the copies, I will scan some when I am next over there. Even better, I may just take my digi cam and fill up a big memory card with pages. Let me know where to send them with, or better yet remind me in the future since I probably won't get over to paradise until Christmas time. smiley - cheers

Ghost Rider, you are welcome indeed! Canucks have no states other than states of mind and I figure we should include patriality in this little club, anyway.

smiley - biggrin

SIGN ME UP!

Post 89

Ghost Rider©

Thank you.

In all of my life I have thought of myself as half Canadien.
I claim Grand Patritional Nationality.

Jous Suis En Candien, pour Birth.

SIGN ME UP!

Post 90

clzoomer- a bit woobly

smiley - ok

Je vous en pris. (or something like that)

SIGN ME UP!

Post 91

Ghost Rider©

En Francais?

I speak some French. I cannot write it.

I am a person unsure about hiz nationality. My father's dad was Canadien. My father's Mum went to Toronto to Die with my Uncles.

I have a British passport and served 17 Years in the RAF, as did lots of Canadiens

SIGN ME UP!

Post 92

pixie

Hi GhostRider smiley - smiley
Welcome to the group, glad to see you started making yourself comfortable.
can I offer you something to drink? Coffee, tea, or maybe a nice stiff drink?..lol
Lonefaery
smiley - fairy

SIGN ME UP!

Post 93

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Since you offered- I'll take a nice cold glass of Essensia, smiley - ta

smiley - biggrin

SIGN ME UP!

Post 94

Ghost Rider©

Sorry about my Tardy reply.

Life gets in the way, Ya know?

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, though i am still feeling a bit shy.

SIGN ME UP!

Post 95

pixie

I hear you there life does get in the way.. all to often..lol
Dont be shy we wont bite.. lol
grab a seat on one of our big comfy couches, order yourself a drink and jump right in there.
Lf
smiley - fairy

SIGN ME UP!

Post 96

pixie

Heya Zoomer
one Essenia coming up..lol
anyone else i can get anything for since im up and it looks like a few of us could use a refill?
smiley - laugh
Lf
smiley - fairy

SIGN ME UP!

Post 97

clzoomer- a bit woobly

smiley - ta

smiley - cheers

Funny how the only Canuck farther away from you is the rev in Japan and yet no one else seems to be around. Is it National Be Kind To Maple Trees Day today or something? (Notice I studiously and PCedly didn't refer to our national mascot...)smiley - laugh

SIGN ME UP!

Post 98

pixie

smiley - laugh
zoomer zoomer zoomer.. i can always count on you to make me laugh..lol.. i needed that..
Yup its a quiet day here in our lil piece of canada..lol
smiley - laugh
smiley - cheers (its almost 5 late enuf to get started..lol)
LF
smiley - fairy

SIGN ME UP!

Post 99

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Aww, go and have one! It's always past six somewhere, remember!
smiley - cheers

I'm off I'm afraid- I was literally waiting for glue to dry and now it seems to be done. I'm glueing baseboards to the wall in my bedroom. Take care- and always remember what I was once told:

"Always remember, you should never....or was that always...have to....or was that make do....with other people's...or was that your own....advice!"

smiley - ok

SIGN ME UP!

Post 100

pixie

smiley - laugh
home renovating aint it nice..lol.. i been doing repairs in the new place but hey it means i get to play with power tools..lol
your right its always after 6 somewhere, lol.. so i am going to have a few myself
smiley - cheers
smiley - laugh
I'll be sure to remember that tibit of advicesmiley - smiley
Lf
smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post