A Conversation for Talking Point: Was 2008 any Good?

My 2008 retrospective

Post 1

Beatrice

In summary, it was pretty fantastic! I'll answer your specific questions first, then add anything I think hasn't been covered:

smiley - starWhat's your overwhelming personal memory of 2008? Orlando: swimming with dolphins, riding a HD to KSC with my son as pillion, watching the sunset at Clearwater. Other great holidays - motorbiking to Skye and Tipperaray, 50th birthday celebrations in Venice, and 70th birthday do in Coleraine. Training my dog Max. My duaghter doing well at school and performance.

smiley - starWill it stick in your mind as, on the whole, a good year?
Or, conversely, will you be glad to see the back of 2008? Definitely a good year.

smiley - starWhat, in your opinion, were the most significant news events? Obama's win in the US elections - a real "remember where you were" moment. The financial crisis - unprecedented intervention and support of the banking sector, possibly a damaging body blow to pure capatalism. The Beijing Olympics and Team GB's terrific success.

smiley - starWhat were the greatest cultural high points? John Sargeant dragging his partner Kristina across the floor like a bag of spuds. I also enjoyed a performance of Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker. And the world premiere of "Medbh's Elegey", played by my niece, written by me.

smiley - starWho of the people we lost in 2008 will be most sadly missed by you? My best friend's father and my cousin's mother-in-law.

smiley - starWhat's the biggest lesson you've learned from this year? What do you think 2008 should have taught us all? Not to take anything for granted. That if something's too good to be true then it probably is. We are living in Financial Times.

smiley - starWhat artefacts would you assemble if you were to create Blue Peter-type time capsule in order to let future generations know how we lived in 2008. A JLS badge, a Wii, and an oyster card.

Looking at my answers, they're very family oriented! It was a great year for music - fantastic songs from new artists and comeback kings. Not so good for movies. I managed to master YouTube and music notation software, and also started playing Scrabble and Lexulous with friends across the world.

My 2008 retrospective

Post 2

crystal_bell

Personally, I will be glad to see the back of 2008, but, can't really think that 2009 will be any better unfortunately smiley - sadface

By the way - Hope everyone reading this does have a good New Year smiley - cheerssmiley - magic

My 2008 retrospective

Post 3

shiftyakacampo

yer 2008 was kind of crappy, especially with the media hyping up all this credit crunch.

i shall miss woolworths though. was great for bargain deals, jeff buckley album 49p cant beat it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more