A Conversation for Talking Point: Was 2008 any Good?

Hmmm, 2008

Post 1

alysdragon

What's your overwhelming personal memory of 2008?
Personally, I quite liked 2008 - turned 21, got married, graduated and finished my first novel. The last three of those were the three best things that ever happened to me (and not because I hated my course)

Will it stick in your mind as, on the whole, a good year?
Probably, personally, yes. Then again, on a global scale everything has gone to hell in a handcart.

Or, conversely, will you be glad to see the back of 2008?
Nah. Then again, I shan't exactly miss it. Although I have a feeling 2009 is going to be MUCH worse on a global scale.

What, in your opinion, were the most significant news events?
These have all been said, really. Just the idea that we've made a total muckup of this century so far and shouldn't expect things to get much better any time soon. Oh, and Barrak Obama which brought in a small note of optimism.

What were the greatest cultural high points?
In England... Hmmm. The idea that people might *finally* be losing interest in the cult of celebrity? There's been some good music, and a at least one truly excellent book released this year.

Who of the people we lost in 2008 will be most sadly missed by you?Humphery Littleton. Arthur C. Clarke.

What's the biggest lesson you've learned from this year? What do you think 2008 should have taught us all? To value what I have (a great family, a great husband and an infinate capacity for joy at simple things.) I think the same should goes for everybody - what we have, not what we lack. I've also come to realise my vocation, which was quite nice.

What artefacts would you assembled if you were to create Blue Peter-type time capsule in order to let future generations know how we lived in 2008? Hmmm. I don't think you could *make* a Blue Peter type time capsule for this year, everything is a bit X rated. War, death, famine, credit crunch, human misery, collapse of capitalism.... Religious leaders acting irresponsibly... Actually, I don't even want to think about it.


Key: Complain about this post

Hmmm, 2008

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more