A Conversation for Lorem ipsum

A1016092 - Lorem ipsum

Post 21

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

My favourite source of all kinds of knowledge expresses a tinsy bit of doubt about the 16th century origin, but that doesn't really matter. (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010216.html )

But as a petandic git I would make a few modifications, which I feel aids the flow:

"...OR perhaps they're all greek to you?

If that last is the case you really need to work on your classical languages. Several of the words in the paragraph are recognisable Latin words. Don't be too hard on yourself though, because, even to Latin scholars, they don't seem to add up to anything, and some are just nonsense -- there's no Latin word lorem, for instance. Some further digging will reveal that Lorem Ipsum is the beginning..."

I'm not sure if using the verb 'dummy up' is recognisable to the average reader, and, at least to me as a non-native reader of English the intended meaning of 'the copy' isn't immediately obvious. If no one else agree feel free to ignore this. smiley - smiley

Also the links to Adobe and Macromedia will likely be cut out by the sub-ed.

Jam in a subheader before describing the origin of the phrase, something like 'Ancient History'

'It seems likely that someone found and old (probably 16th century) type-specimen book.'

It certainly doesn't. smiley - smiley I quote Cecil again from the same link: "Just one problem. When I spoke to McClintock recently, he said he'd been unable to locate the old type sample in which he thought he'd seen lorem ipsum. The earliest he could definitely trace back the passage was Letraset press-type sheets, which dated back only a few decades. But come on, you think graphic arts supply houses were hiring classics scholars in the 1960s? Well, maybe they were. But it's easier to believe that someone at Letraset simply copied the text from an old hot-type source. We're now faced with the mere technical detail of figuring out which one."

I think this bit should be turned a bit around, and sprinkled with uncertainty, and some more info from Cecil, and other sources on the net. Like Microsoft, who write "A 1994 issue of "Before & After" magazine traces "Lorem ipsum ..." to a jumbled Latin version of a passage from de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum, a treatise on the theory of ethics written by Cicero in 45 B.C."

Most pages seem to include that bit that 'Lorem ipsum has been used since the 1500s', but they all refer to the 'Before & After' article. I'm trying to find out if there are any actual type-specimen books around to prove this claim, but haven't had any luck so far.

Anyway, without making any false claims you could mention the 1994 Before & After, and how this led to the unveiling of the Roman origin of lorem ipsum.

A1016092 - Lorem ipsum

Post 22

ArnieP

OK, I've added "Desk top publishing" as a .

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 23

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 24

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Congratulations! smiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Post 25

anhaga

smiley - bubbly

Post 26

six7s

Maximus bubblicus

Post 27

GreyDesk

Good stuff smiley - biggrin

Post 28

Hathornefer (ACE) Near miss - isnt that what you'd call a hit

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly
Hey Alan - Congratulations and well done
smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

I am so pleased for you smiley - rose

Hath
x
smiley - chick

Post 29

ArnieP

Thanks for the congratulations evrybody! smiley - biggrinsmiley - wowsmiley - cheers

ArnieP

Post 30

Rho

Belated congratulations from me, also! smiley - bubbly

RhoMuNuQ

Key: Complain about this post