This is the Message Centre for azahar

Which name do you prefer?

Post 1

azahar

I am presently designing a collection of all-natural 'easy wear' clothing for women (though may eventually design stuff for men and kids too).

I originally thought of doing two collections - the 'easy wear' line called Bohemia as well as a nightwear line (nightgowns, pj's, etc) called Eclipse, but I'm now finding that there isn't really much difference between the two. Meaning that the nightwear could easily be worn as street/beachwear and the casual street/at-home stuff could also be worn to sleep in. So I have decided to incorporate the two ideas into one collection.

But now I'm not sure what to call it.

I quite like both names, including the fact that they have the same spelling and meaning in both English and Spanish.

Bohemia really suits the 'casual chic' and 'natural' concept of the designs and Eclipse works well with the day/night concept . . . but now that I am going to combine the two, which name should I use? I honestly can't decide.

So I thought I'd ask which name you prefer.

smiley - cheers

azahar

Post 2

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

just my smiley - 2cents

why not Bohemia Eclipse?
it sounds like some one's name who is very mysterious and well dressed!
another thing is BE could make nice logo.

Post 3

IctoanAWEWawi

Or what about Bohemian Dusk? covers both angles then.

Post 4

Recumbentman

Eclipse has a slightly negative vibe. Not that I'm a woman.

Post 5

smurfles

Hi az.I think eclipse would be the best one,The current trends towards shorts and matching tops,both for casual day wear and night attire,sometimes has me wondering whether i'm buying something for the holidays that i should be buying for bedtime!!!
At least the name would give me a pointer.wouldn't want to go round florida in my jammies!!!smiley - goodluckwith the new venture!

Post 6

Kat - From H2G2

I like Ictoan's suggestion more. If you want to have clothing that can be used for either then there's no point leaning towards one or the other in my mind. Plus eclipse sounds slightly strange with Bohemia, it might be the two vowel sounds running together. Bohemian Dusk sounds sort of cool and surfy but also sultry and hot.

That's my initial thought anyway. I'll give it some more pondering

Kat

Post 7

azahar

I think Bohemia Eclipse might be a bit long, pheloxi.

Negative in what way, Recumbentman? As in, to over-shadow?

Dusk wouldn't work in Spanish, Ictoan and Kat, but thanks!

I kind of prefer Eclipse myself right now, sal, but perhaps because it's the more recent name. I also wonder if Bohemia might have too much of a 'hippy' connotation. Because of the quality of the materials (linen, cotton, raw silk) and small production costs, they are going to be high-end clothes . . . hmmm . . .

az

Post 8

Ivan the Terribly Average

This is a vote for 'Bohemia'.

Post 9

you are right....

what about Eclipsia?

just a bit of the old namem but more personelised...

another spelling might Eclipxia

Post 10

IctoanAWEWawi

Just one point for consideration, both bohemia and ecplipse are very design label-y, is there anyone else out there using these that might cause you problems Az? Not necessarily legal, but I presume you want your line to stand out so might be worth checking if anyone else is using either name for their designs?

Appols if you have already done this!

Post 11

Beatrice

I prefer Bohemia.

It says "relaxed, carefree, unstructered, artistic"

Eclipse to me is very scientific and slightly geeky smiley - erm

Do I get a free sample? smiley - smiley

Post 12

one smiley - monster for Lucky Star smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Ivan the Terribly Average

'Eclipse' is a bit negative, in my deranged drunken opinion. It has connotations of autumn, and waning...

Post 14

azahar

Noggin has done a search on both names, Ictoan, and couldn't find anything that related to clothing. He also checked for trademarks and so far hasn't found anything.

For example, I know there is a Czech Republic company called Bohemia that makes glassware and dishes, but unless they have patented the name that wouldn't be a problem, nor is it anything in direct competition with a line of clothing.

Thanks Ivan! Noggin also prefers Bohemia. It's me who is feeling indecisive.

az

Post 15

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I also prefer "Bohemia", for pretty much the same reasons the ohers have given so far.

Post 16

azahar

<>

Yes, that was kind of what I had in mind when I first came up with the name several years ago, Lucky. Free sample, eh? I think if I gave everyone here a free sample we'd be out of business before we even got started! smiley - winkeye

az

Post 17

azahar

You prefer Bohemia too, PC? Hmmm. . . feeling myself starting to slip off the fence . . .

az

Post 18

did Noggin check a little variation?
"La Bohemia"

smiley - sorry from Mexicio. I think.
http://www.virtualvallarta.com/vallarta/articles/fw00-toody.html

Post 19

Beatrice

Also, another definition of "eclipse" is "wipe out"

e.g "London's jubilation at gaining the Olympics was eclipsed by the following day's tragic events."

Post 20

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Err, that doesn't been 'wipe-out' LS. It's the same meaning as given earlier, 'overshadow'.

I prefer Eclipse, it's got a good edge to it.

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post