A Conversation for Console Wars of the Second Generation

The Dreamcast DID have a MS OS...

Post 1

Matt Bailey

The Dreamcast was "Powered by" WindowsCE. The Microsoft background-OS (which works in a similar way to the Win2K kernal underneath the Xbox's Dashboard OS) was used for the Network coding, and used in games such as Sega Rally. I wasn't an OS like Windows 9x/NT/XP is on the PC, but there was a Microsoft OS in the Dreamcast.

On the subject of Xbox sales; after a rise following cheap deals and Metroid Prime, GC sales have dropped significantly, and now the Xbox has regained 2nd place in Europe; especially so with the price drop two weeks ago.

Post 2

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

All info was correct when written, but Microsoft has beaten Nintendo since then. When I said MS OS, I was reffering to something such as Windows, but let's not split hairs.

Post 3

Oberon2001 (Scout)

smiley - erm Split hairs? CE *is* an operating system. It was a scaled down version of 95 for handheld computers (CE stood for something like "compact edition")
Oberon2001

Post 4

xyroth

and never was an operating system more appropriately named "wince" describes it rather well.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more