A Conversation for Australian Slang

Writing Workshop: A992027 - Australian Slang

Post 1

tadpole

Entry: Australian Slang - A992027
Author: Researcher 221699 - U221699

here is a work in progress about something that popped into my head at work. it is hot and i am tired. i like the way it starts but the ending is a bit weak.

A992027 - Australian Slang

Post 2

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Hi Anonymous researcher, and welcome to H2G2! If you click on the "preferences" button on the left you'll be able to give yourself a more personal name!

I think an entry on Australian slang would be excellent smiley - smiley- there isn't one in the edited guide at the moment. The edited guide, in case you don't already know, is the bit of the guide that's a peer reviewed online encyclopaedia bit of the site. If that's what you'd like to do with this, I'd suggest a couple of changes. Firstly, edited guide entries shouldn't be in the first person (ie no "I" or "me").

I think if you wanted to produce a definitive entry on Australian slang, you'd have to give a lot more examples of slang. If you put slang into the search box, you 'll find a few entries on slang that are already in the edited guide that would be useful as a model.

If you need some help, I'm sure that other Australian researchers would be glad to help. I spent a couple of months in your neck of the woods (Scarborough), so I'd be happy to provide a visitor's perspective on the important bits of slang if that would help. (I've been back for several years and I'm still saying "no worries...)

TTFN

Otto

Post 3

Farlander

i agree with otto that an article on australian slang would be an excellent addition to the guide, as we already have diner slang and brummie. however, this being for the edited guide (as otto has said), your article shouldn't be opinion-based, and should be in the third person, unless it's a personal account (like, 'my experience as a bone marrow donor' or something).

also, and more importantly, you should take greater care when using certain slang words. i'm pretty sure that 'w*nker' is a banned word (check the h2g2 banned word list), and that using it in an article could get you into quite a bit of trouble.

other than that, i feel that this article has potential (when re-written) - i was in perth two years ago, and loved the way australians managed to roll out their slang so naturally. keep at it! smiley - ok

Post 4

Deek

Hi there
Isn't there a word for it? Something like 'Strine ?
A.M.smiley - smiley

Post 5

Farlander

er... strine?

Post 6

Deek

Er yup.
I seem to remember a TV program about it donkey's years ago, in which Australian dialect was dubbed 'Strine.
Au..strine... geddit? (say it quickly) smiley - biggrin
It's probably just a local thing
A.M.smiley - smiley

Post 7

Farlander

ah.... ok, i get it. i just thought that what you posted was in response to my posting...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more