A Conversation for Public Television

PBS

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Semi-annual pledge breaks also give the sub-species "Pledge Volunteer" an opportunity to take to the air(waves) like a plague of cicadas.

PBS

Post 2

Nighthawk

Pledge drives happen semi-annually????? To me it seemed more like they took a pledge break semi-annually.

PBS

Post 3

Is the cup half full, or half empty?

Pledge breaks, auctions, and marathons of a program you've already seen a dozen times... and where's my Doctor Who mug?

PBS

Post 4

Deskbot Chic

Public televison is constantly raising money because they need to stay in bussines. To give children
Big Bird,Barney,Arthur,Reading Rainbow, and other muppet/cartoon shows to help children LEARN.
To give others news,movies,nature shows, mobile master piece theater, and other culture shows.

PBS

Post 5

Just kidding... they do good work. The pledge breaks and so on are necessary evils due to government funding cuts.

PBS is still a class act.

PBS

Post 6

Nighthawk

I realize the pledge breaks are a necessary evil but they are still pretty darn funny.

PBS

Post 7

Do you really think so? I find them damned annoying, particularly when they interupt a program in progress. You have to sit and wait, because you have no idea when they wil return to the show.

PBS

Post 8

Nighthawk

Well that too. Perhaps funny was the wrong choice of words. I can't particularly think of a better
explination what I meant at the moment.

PBS

Post 9

Maybe the pledge breaks are more entertaining in your part of the country.

PBS

Post 10

Deskbot Chic

I will agree that sucks.

PBS

Post 11

Driver8

And who uses tote bags? You never see James Bond or Steve McGarritt from Hawaii Five-Oh whip a gun out of their WGBH tote-bag to return fire on, y'know, Dr. No, or Polynesian Mafia hit-men.

PBS

Post 12

Good point! Does any of the alleged gifts exist in the real world. I've never seen any.

PBS

Post 13

Deskbot Chic

I am still waiting for my dam mug! and i ordered that three years ago!

PBS

Post 14

Koenig

Well I got my Dr. Who Tardis bank...

PBS

Post 15

That's not fair. I've been waiting nearly fifteen years for my Dr. Who mug.

I did get to see James Burke ("Connections") in Toronto, courtesy of WNED Buffalo.

PBS

Post 16

Nighthawk

There is now an easier way to get PBS products there is a catalogue called SIGNALS which you can get t-shirts, mugs
and other paraphanalia (sp?) to your hearts content. I think Signals is associated with Public Radio and there
is another associated with TV but the name slips my mind. (And they deliver in under 15 years)

PBS

Post 17

Koenig

KETC in St. Louis also has or is associated with the Store of Knowledge, where one can buy all that kind of stuff.

PBS

Post 18

Researcher 38090

How can they be in financial difficulty. Have their sponsors, such as the number 8 and the letter I not been paying up all these years.

PBS

Post 19

A good question! And one you may very well ask.

Could be that people are remiss in paying royalties to the number "_" and the letter "_".

Key: Complain about this post