A Conversation for why pick on scunthorpe?

Alternative Writing Workshop: A931565 - why pick on scunthorpe?

Post 1

Dr. Rjinswand

Entry: why pick on scunthorpe? - A931565
Author: Dr. Rjinswand - U215414

WHY???? WHY DOES IT HAPPEN???? THATS ALL I WANT TO KNOW!!!! NOT ASKING TOO MUCH IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A931565 - why pick on scunthorpe?

Post 2

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Once one pulls the shell off this entry, the meat is actually a pretty good excuse for an honest entry.

Would you like to try?

Post 3

Stuart

Why pick on Scunthorpe?

Probably because its full of people like you. I can to some degree understand people who cannot talk without interspersing their words with foul expletives. But there is no excuse to do at when writing as different thought process are involved, which with a moments thought, can be easily avoided. All it does is demonstrate a lack of vocabulary and a total disregards for any who might read their writings.

On second thoughts, Scunthorpe is probaly better off with you.

Stuart

Post 4

xyroth

it seems a rather pointless entry, considering how good the edited entry at A806023 is.

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I was thinking of the "why not pick on this name, rather than that one" aspect.

Post 6

Spiff

Well, i used to live not far from Scunny, and i rather liked this little rant... but then i've always been partial to liberal use of foul expletives; i wonder if it's a local thing? smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Stuart

Hi Spiff,

There’s a time and a place for the liberal use of foul expletives. After 22 years in the Army, I learnt a few myself, but I also learnt where and when to use them for maximum effect, and more importantly, where and when not to use them.

Over use tends to reduce their effectiveness. Consequently, when I do use them, people who know me know I am being serious and tend to take a little more notice. Using foul expletives with strangers will lead them to assume you do it all the time.

Stuart

Post 8

Spiff

fair dos to yous, Stoos, smiley - biggrin

I was just being facetious, really, what you say is fair enough, especially on a site like this where writing is taken relatively seriously, even when it's fun writing. smiley - smiley

but in actual fact, looking back at it, there's less expletion than you might think, just a couple of scattalogical references... we've all seen worse. And the man's clearly irate! smiley - winkeye

that last sentence is a bit of curve-ball, though... or perhaps one in the foot...

cya
spiff

Post 9

Dr. Rjinswand

I apologise for the liberal use of expletives in your opinion but do not feel that there was excessive usage. In respect for the differing opinions i will remove them. I just feel strongly about it. The last sentence was me coming to the end of the writing and running out of things to say. I'm only off as i'm going back to uni and feel that scunthorpe is a nice place to live. This will also be removed. Not much left now!
Dr. Rjinswand

Post 10

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Bye-ee!

Post 11

a girl called Ben

"If Typhoo put the T in Britian.... "

I think there's your answer, sitting bang in the middle of the name Scunthorpe. *That's* why the rest of us remember the name.

I am sorry to miss the expletives - I am now left wondering just how bad they are. (I did like the crack about London being full of southerners, by the way.)

Anyway - this entertained me, I enjoy reading rants, and this was nice and fluent. In fact I felt that if it was even longer and even more fluent, I might want to vote for it for the (currently non existant) Underguide. (Kinda like the Post, kinda like AGG/GAG, kinda like CAC, and kinda like none of the above).

Just now though it is - and this may surprise the rest of you - a little too short and not quite exasperated and angry enough.

I suspect that my 0.65 of a vote for this is unusual, and the other Underguiders will either dislike this or be bored by it. But it is only by exploring differences that we gain consensus.

smiley - cheers Dr R.

Ben

Post 12

LL Waz

Dr. Rjinswand it's the name. It's so easy say it with scorn. It takes too long to get your tongue round Uglebarnby to say it with anything. Then apart from Ben's point there's the rural sticksville association with 'thorpe'. And attached to that Scun, short for scunnered - to have had enough of, to have put yourself off of by over indulgence, to be sick of. Having a sister called Mabel doesn't help either. It's very unfair but there's no hope for poor Scunthorpe. Bring back Escunatorp.

The entry is entertaining but it does read as if its been watered down and runs out of steam at the end.You don't need expletives to show strength of feeling - I thought "I spit on sheffield and fart in its general direction. Its mother was a hampster and its father smelt of elderberries" was pretty effective! And original, (elderberries?), or am I just out of the loop when it comes to insults?

As far as the Underguide-to-be goes, its a bit neither fish nor foul, EG/UG, at the moment but it has potential.

Post 13

a girl called Ben

"Then apart from Ben's point there's the rural sticksville association with 'thorpe'. And attached to that Scun, short for scunnered - to have had enough of, to have put yourself off of by over indulgence, to be sick of."

smiley - laugh

How nice to be thought so sweet! smiley - tongueout

I too liked the 'elderberries'.

B

Post 14

Dr. Rjinswand

I have to admit that the elderberries thing plus all that insult was robbed from monty python and the holy grail. Ahh well, you never know, the genius might rub off.

Post 15

nadia

This isn't formed enough for the UG. It's entertaining but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere from here.

Suggesting a move.
N

Post 16

Kat - From H2G2

Ouch! Yes move it along...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more