A Conversation for Stories from World War Two

The Finnish Winter War

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

In the Moscow 'Peace Treaty' that was the result of the Finnish Winter War (part of WW2) the Soviet Union nicked a considerable piece of mainly south east Finland, known as Karelia.

Over 10% of Finland's agricultural area was lost where 12% of the Finns had their homes. Over 60% of them made their living on farming and 84% of the farms were small (below 10 hectare) owned by independent peasants.

My father's parents were among those, and they left (as did practically all the Finns living in that area), leaving lands and farm and animals behind, choosing to lose everything when moving to what was left of Finland rather than become Soviet citizens.

My father did his best to join the Finnish Army, and managed to worm his way to the front before they realized he was a minor. It was too late to send him back, so instead he was put to guard Soviet soldiers that had been taken as prisoners of war.

The days were long, and to pass the time he started speaking to them because, as he said, they were just common people, just like he was. This is the reason my father came to speak Russian pretty fluently, but it wasn't until much later in life that he decided to also learn the grammar and to write Russian (surprising the teacher by his knowledge of spoken Russian).

Many of the Finns that left never looked back, but made themselves new lives instead - it wouldn't have been much point in going to Stalin (A832411 for more info about *him*) whining about lost lands.

Some however couldn't forget, and wouldn't give up hope - but as Ukkeli (U201154) told me when I wondered if there had been any claims:

'Chance to visit Karelia after collapse of Soviet Union gave shock treatment to many of few clingers. Buildings were gone, fields had turned into forests and so on. Everything they had been clinging to was actually gone.'

More info about the Finnish Winter War can be found here:

http://www.winterwar.com

Key: Complain about this post

The Finnish Winter War

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more