This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

SQ and BB

Post 2001

Bluebottle

If the worst comes to the worst and it does impact on my hearing, I've got a good stock of silent films I can watch as well as books to read; I've learnt from last time.

Yesterday I inadvertently brought pages 81-84 of 'The Nativities are Restless' on my USB stick to upload and at nammettime discovered I hadn't uploaded 76-80 yet, which was still at homesmiley - laugh So that's 8 pages uploaded all at once today to make up for it. I've come to the conclusion that anything can legitimately be mocked if it falls into one of the following two categories:
a.) Anything that exists.
b.) Anything that doesn't exist.
Anything that can be classed as one or other of the above is prime target material.

Glad to hear you had a good birthday smiley - giftsmiley - cake – and had a treat of spotting a birdsmiley - tit. So are there more celebrations over the weekend?
We've no plans – I wonder if there'll be a possibility of going to the cinema to see 'Spies in Disguise'...?

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2002

SashaQ - happysad

Ah, that is good that you have silent films to enjoy when your hearing is bunged up smiley - ok

Well done for managing to keep track of 'The Nativities are Restless' - I'm managing to keep track of reading them, too smiley - ok I think I've missed at least one of your smiley - thepost cartoons, though, so I will need to check that... smiley - ok

Thanks for sharing your conclusion - given that other people exist, you have to mind you don't turn into J*m D*v*ds*n or similar, but as long as you keep depicting thoughtful absurdity and aiming your punchlines 'above the belt', your cartoons will continue entertaining us smiley - biggrin

I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was not very exciting, although I did write about Kingfishers A87964375smiley - biggrin but I got good work done, as I had to learn about Probate smiley - online2long I also opened the bonnet of my car and found I can fill up the windscreen wash reservoir, so that is another 'achievement unlocked'! Getting petrol was easier this time, too, and I got loyalty points so that's good smiley - ok

SQ and BB

Post 2003

Bluebottle

Ah, people – me included - are the most absurd things of all, and the more people you gather together, the more absurd they become. Though that might just be my long-founded suspicion of crowds and gatherings… A bit too much like mobs for my comfort. Still, only the last few pages to go – I'll have drawn 100 pages within 2 months, which isn't bad going.

If you've missed any of my smiley - thepost cartoons, you can always find them and links smiley - handcuffs too from here: A85695051. One day I'll get around to uploading the pictures I drew last year onto smiley - facepalmsmiley - book

I saw the entry on kingfishers smiley - tit and must admit that my first thought was on reading 'Common Kingfishers mainly eat fish, as their name suggests' that the name equally suggests that they would mainly eat kings smiley - silly, and possibly also the Fisher King, the mythical bearer of the Holy Grail. Sounds quite a rich diet. smiley - winkeye I'll comment properly and behave in the actual thread, honest!

Congratulations though on expanding your car maintenance horizons, and getting loyalty points too. smiley - biggrin I had a quiet 'stay at home' weekend in the end and didn't go out, except to parkrun.

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2004

SashaQ - happysad

Wow, 100 pages in 2 months is good going smiley - ok My average is about 4 pages per month!

Thanks for the link - I enjoyed catching up on those smiley - ok

"Sounds quite a rich diet."

smiley - rofl Yes indeed! smiley - snork Good point, though - I will think about how to rephrase, as their name suggests they are good at fishing, rather than simply good at eating fish smiley - ok

SQ and BB

Post 2005

Bluebottle

How are you and how are you enjoying the floods and storm?

It has certainly affected me each day – the recent weather has undermined and closed my main way into work along the river:
http://www.bitternepark.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4246:boardwalk-closing-for-emergency-work&catid=79:airport-expansion&Itemid=91

I love the bit that says, 'An advisory diversion route for both pedestrians and cyclists is in place… The diversion will be via Empress Road.' What they don't say is that Empress Road is a dodgy red light district and industrial estate that twists and turns passing the smiley - bus depot and Bevois Park Rail Yard depot and is full of lorries twisting and abutting at odd angles into the road as they navigate the corners and the road surface is terrible and full of potholes and to get to involves a level crossing – frankly, I'd rather take my chances with the undermined boardwalk...

In many ways it was fairly easy to do 'The Nativities are Restless' as I was adapting an existing story - I've already got the structure and what happens when. Just got the last two pages to draw and then I'm done and will have to think of something to do next.smiley - biro

To add a tad more to what I said earlier in the week, I think that while it is possible to give a surface appreciation of things that exist, for something to have value it has be evaluated and appraised before it has true worth and is not merely insubstantial. Humour is one of many measures that can be used. (Another potential measure is jealousy – if you think 'I wish I could do that' or, in the case of birdwatching, 'I wish I could fly', then that's a critical appraisal.).

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2006

SashaQ - happysad

"frankly, I'd rather take my chances with the undermined boardwalk... "

Wow smiley - blue that's not good at all... I've been exceedingly lucky so far - the weather in the afternoon has been bad with heavy rain and high winds, but by hometime it settled down. The drainage has been fixed after last year when the lake appeared, so the odd puddle here and there was quite shallow. I hope this continues here (touch wood, etc, etc) and I hope the situation improves for you... smiley - goodluck

I was lucky that I didn't even get wet when I went to the Horticultural Lecture last night so that was good. Not my favourite style of lecture, as the lecturer had a habit of talking really quietly smiley - shhh then Shouting! smiley - yikes but it was informative about the smiley - snowdrop Winter Garden area at the Botanical Gardens smiley - ok

Ah, yes that is a good point that the Nativity Story gives you a structure to draw on, whereas Random Rants, Career Curiosities, etc are more reliant on flashes of inspiration about what to draw next, so take longer to plan smiley - ok

Thank you for explaining a tad more about your philosophy, and about humour being a measuring tool smiley - ok I shall ponder that some more - measuring is tricky, that it might damage the thing that is being measured, but on the other hand, measuring something valuable helps to prove it is valuable. smiley - ok

SQ and BB

Post 2007

Bluebottle

My route in today along the upper river (above Woodmill) was quite flooded, over the path in numerous places, including the newly raised section. Below Woodmill where the river is tidal, the water was far below average water level. They used to have a sluice gate at Woodmill they could open to relieve the upper river at times of flooding but they don't seem to use it anymore, seemingly preferring to let the bank flood.

Hmmm – I had a look to find out why they've not used it for the last couple of years and apparently the old gate is worn out and they're still trying to decide whether to replace it or do something else: http://www.bitternepark.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3535:consultation-offers-chance-to-give-your-river-views&catid=1:local-news&Itemid=59

I'm sure I've watched television programmes and films like the lecture you've been to – when they whisper for ages so you have to turn the volume up to be able to catch what they are mumblingsmiley - huh, only for there to be sudden, loud noises blaring outsmiley - headhurts.

Ah yes, you can't forget the old Hawthorne Effect or Observer Effect – that the act of measuring in itself influences what is being measured. And obviously you wouldn't want to use a method that would have a detrimental impact…

Today it is sunny! I've not been outside today as we had board game club (I won two of four rounds of 'Exploding Kittens') but hopefully I won't get soaked on the way home for the first time this week.

The other good news is that they're no longer selling Marah Carey flavour smiley - footprintssmiley - crisps, which makes life easier when it comes to nammet times and making a packed lunch for my son.

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2008

SashaQ - happysad

That is strange about the sluice gate seemingly having been forgotten about... I hope your journey home was OK. I somehow managed to dodge the worst of the weather again, thankfully - in the afternoon I could hear the howling wind and lashing rain, but by 6pm it was fine. I have to go out this afternoon, so hopefully I don't get too wet then...

Glad you got some sun and enjoyed board game club - my sister found similar sorts of games, so she brought some with her for Christmas and we all enjoyed Forbidden Island and Selfish Zombies - very good how the games only last about 20-30 minutes each smiley - ok

" they whisper for ages so you have to turn the volume up to be able to catch what they are mumbling smiley - huh , only for there to be sudden, loud noises blaring out smiley - headhurts ."

Oh, yes - very true!

Good news about the smiley - crisps indeed - I can't say I was tempted to try Mariah Carey smiley - footprints flavour so that passed me by, thankfully... My work colleagues helped me eat some of my Christmas food on my birthday this year, so that was good.

I hope you have an excellent birthday weekend, and I hope your little h2g2 parcel arrived OK smiley - biggrin

SQ and BB

Post 2009

Bluebottle

I'm from the Isle of Wight so undermined roads aren't anything new – this is the sort of thing that happens every couple of years: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51140199

It is frustrating that the sluice gate seems to be left and forgotten – the path was even more flooded on the way home a couple of days ago, by far the worst I've seen the upper river and cycling through water all the way, but fortunately it has gone down a bit now.

My daughter got 'Forbidden Island' for Christmas – when we play she always insists on being the pilot. I've not played 'Selfish Zombies', though – and to think Zombies are normally so altruistic.

Walkers smiley - footprintssmiley - crisps decided over Christmas to have an advertising campaign featuring Mariah Carey, putting pictures of her on every packet of their crisps. This led to some hilarious adverts in which she tried desperately to avoid having to eat a crisp despite that being what she's been paid millionssmiley - 2cents to do. Yet my son promptly refused to eat any smiley - crisps in a packet with her picture on, but he's been willing to eat the smiley - crisps if they've been put in a tub or on a plate so he doesn't have to eat them from the packet.

I did wonder whether Mariah Carey smiley - diva is the smiley - earth's most successful one-hit-wonder. Her song 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' was not only a UK #2 but has led to her making an animated film, 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' (2017) – adapted from her children's book 'All I Want for Christmas is You', as well as appearing in such films as 'A Christmas Melody'. However when I looked her up I saw she has sadly had a few other appearances in the UK top 3, so only counts as being a consistently successful singer and not the most successful one-hit-wonder in the world.

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2010

SashaQ - happysad

"I'm from the Isle of Wight so undermined roads aren't anything new " - yes indeed smiley - blue I recall you mentioning the 2014 Undercliff landslide, and the one last week was also nasty...

I was glad to read that the Isle of Wight Land Trust managed to meet their fundraising target smiley - ok Burton Mere also met their target, so hopefully all goes well with their plans smiley - ok

Glad your daughter enjoys Forbidden Island, too smiley - ok "and to think Zombies are normally so altruistic." smiley - snork Yes! Players have to lay out cards to make their own path to get to a helicopter but some of the cards contain traps.

Ah, yes I saw the Mariah Carey adverts containing very little crisp consumption, but didn't see any of the packets of crisps with her face on smiley - laugh That's a good question about the most successful one-hit wonder in the world, but yes Mariah Carey isn't the answer.

I hope you had a good birthday weekend. I enjoyed seeing some of the photos you put on smiley - facepalmsmiley - booksmiley - ok

I had a good weekend, as it was an extension of my birthday weekend - my mum felt guilty that my birthday day hadn't been the most exciting, even though I had enjoyed it, so we did a bit of a tour of the Wirral and managed to go around the fog patch so it was good weather for birdwatching smiley - biggrin Now I need to sort out my photos and put some on smiley - facepalmsmiley - book too smiley - ok

I managed to sort out my trip plans, too - the Art Gallery has been scheduled for Saturday, and the Model Railway Exhibition for Sunday smiley - ok

SQ and BB

Post 2011

Bluebottle

I did indeed have a good birthday – and I thought I'd put a photo from every birthday I've had, but as there are quite a few years in which there aren't any photos of me I thought I'd just put lots of birthday pictures on anyway.

Saturday involved a meal out with friends. However as not everyone had replied to my invite two weeks ago we'd booked a table for six, only to learn at midday that actually nine people were planning on coming. Much of the afternoon was then spent with my wife and I contacting as many of the restaurants and pubs in the nearby area to see if we could get a table for nine anywhere, only to be told 'no' everywhere. In the end I managed to persuade where we had the table for six that we'd be happy squeezing up close together and three of us would be children and eventually they reluctantly allowed us to have a table for eight – but they were adamant that we couldn't have a table for nine. So one of my friends decided not to come in the end, which I feel really bad about – but that's why I had asked for definite answers two weeks ago. So that was a bit of a dampener on the day, but it otherwise went well and it was good to catch up with people I've not seen for a while. Today I'm off to eat a pie after work with a few work colleagues.

Yesterday I went for a very muddy CC6 through the New Forest at King's Garn Gutter.

It is indeed good news that the wildlife agencies have raised the money required smiley - 2cents (or at least the money required for now, I'm sure they'll have further plans in the future) – and have you also seen on the news that one of the sea eagles has been in the news for joining a group of red kites in Oxfordshire. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51160718

Well I should well see you on Sunday at the Model Railway Exhibition, then smiley - biggrin My wife says she has a surprise planned for the Saturday. I've not tried my replacement SLR at a model railway exhibition so I'll see how it gets on. Hopefully the displays will be a reasonable height. smiley - smiley

And thanks very much for the smiley - book - I've been asked if it is possible to order duplicate copies, or is that a unique copy only for me? It is surprising seeing the pictures so big on paper.

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2012

SashaQ - happysad

A meal out with friends is a good way to celebrate your birthday - shame the arrangements didn't go as smoothly as they should have done considering your planning, but the catching up with people is the main thing smiley - ok

Interesting similarities and differences comparing 1980s photographs from your album with mine! I'm rather proud of the first photo of me, in full colour, so I shall endeavour to remember to make a digital copy soon.

I didn't see the recent news about the White-Tailed Sea Eagle in Oxfordshire - that is good that it is finding food smiley - ok

"Well I should well see you on Sunday at the Model Railway Exhibition, then smiley - biggrin" - excellent smiley - ok Hopefully it will be reasonable indeed. I have checked smiley - bus, and found Number 2 Blue Star looks good, so I will try that smiley - ok

Glad the smiley - book arrived safely and looks good! Yours is a proof copy, but you can get duplicates from http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-sprack/what-the-dinosaur/paperback/product-24358508.htmlsmiley - biggrin

SQ and BB

Post 2013

Bluebottle

Ah – I'll have to look out for your photos then, although I've not had much of a chance to browse smiley - facepalmsmiley - book the last couple of days. I do tend to click the 'upload photos' button at the start of lunch and then when I return to my desk the pictures have uploaded and I click straight on the X to close it as I return to work. I scanned in all the old photos I had about a decade ago (my Mum dumped all her old photos between my sister and I when she left) so all my photos are easily accessible, and I burn back-ups to disc every couple of months too.

Thanks for the smiley - book link. If that is a proof copy, does that mean it is possible to edit it?smiley - bigeyes

Yesterday we were informed that we have rehearsals for our concert in March coming up soon – but the first one is on Sunday at 1pm. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere, miles from a railway station, so I'm not even going to attempt to go as it is far too short notice. One disadvantage of where they are holding the railway event is that it is in the middle of nowhere, and the refectory does get crowded.

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2014

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, there wouldn't have been much for you to see from me on smiley - facepalmsmiley - book in the last couple of days, because I haven't managed to sort out my photos from my last few birdwatching expeditions, never mind anything else... Well done for being organised with yours. My 'baby book' is organised but not digitised, I have a photo album with a sheaf of unmounted photos in it, and I have a digital folder with a stack of unnamed photos in it so it is all very messy... It feels overwhelming, but if I got motivated and did eg 10 minutes of sorting a day, that would make a difference...

The smiley - book at the link is the 'First Edition' version (the proof copy is cheaper), but a new version can be created in Lulu at any time (Second Edition, Third Edition, etc). I'll e-mail you the original manuscript later, so you can play with it smiley - biggrin

Ah, that is typical that the rehearsal in the middle of nowhere is on a day when you already have plans, but it didn't help that they only gave you a few days' notice so you can't dedicate the whole day to getting there and back...

I can visualise the railway event venue, but can't visualise the refectory. I can imagine it will be busy, given that the attendees are a captive audience, but we can see how we get on...

SQ and BB

Post 2015

Bluebottle

I saved up and bought a scanner about 15 years ago and have been using it frequently ever since. Not just all my photographs – I just realised that what with 700 pages of 'Bank Wars', 100 of 'Keep on Running', another hundred of 'The Nativities are Restless' plus all the other doodles such as 'What the Dinosaur' that's approaching a thousand pages just of that. So I reckon I've done well with that. I bought one that did slides as well, as many of the photos that were taken had been taken in that format, which aren't easy to otherwise see. I also ensured I labelled all the photos as, when my grandfather died, he left boxes of photos behind which no-one had a clue as to what they were, when they were taken or who they were of. So I decided I'd not make that mistake.

The college renovated their café a couple of years ago, probably since you were there last. So if you had been able to visualise what it looked like, you'd've been wrong with regards what it looks like now. smiley - tongueout I think the moral of it is that, if you want to eat, try and avoid eating at a time when you or anyone else is likely to be hungry.smiley - corncobsmiley - applesmiley - choc

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2016

SashaQ - happysad

Wow, that is impressive that your scanner has scanned thousands of things smiley - ok Yes, good to label things for one's own benefit as well as other people. I find it difficult, but I guess I will get better with more practice - it took me an hour to upload 20 photos to smiley - facepalmsmiley - book but at least my bird list is up to date now smiley - ok

Ah, yes I wouldn't know what the refectory looks like now, then, as it has been a couple of years since I went there smiley - laugh

"I think the moral of it is that, if you want to eat, try and avoid eating at a time when you or anyone else is likely to be hungry."

smiley - laugh Yes!

SQ and BB

Post 2017

Bluebottle

I can beat that – a week ago it took me two hours to top up my mobile phone with a tenner. In the old days I could have walked to any number of ATMs within a 2-hour radius and topped up at the ATM instead without having to deal with the inconvenience of doing it from the comfort of my own home. Well, it wasn't the home that was the problem but O2's website that seemed more interested in diverting me to buy a new phone rather than top up my existing one. Mobile phone companies really don't like pay as you go customers, methinks…

That's why I don't upload anything from home but only use the work PCs over nammettime.

But it was good to see your bird list so far smiley - tit

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2018

SashaQ - happysad

Wow, that isn't good that it took you so long to pay as you go via the website... I'm lucky that my phone tops up via 'Hot Key 3', which entails pressing the number 4, of course smiley - laugh I love the way the automated voice says 'haeash' for # smiley - laugh True that we are rogue with our phones so 'they' would rather we paid more for a new one, for their benefit rather than ours...

Glad smiley - facepalmsmiley - book showed you the smiley - chick photos smiley - ok The uploading of the photos was quick enough, but it just took me ages to get the photos ready for the upload. I managed to organise 400 in an hour on my computer last night, though, so that was better, and I got a smiley - thepost article out of it as well smiley - laugh

SQ and BB

Post 2019

Bluebottle

I always used to use ATM top ups but they stopped last spring, and I've only now topped up my phone twice since then. Sadly the website doesn't say 'Hash'smiley - blue

Yesterday after work I went to a café where a former work colleague who I used to e-mail every day was doing a smiley - book signing, having written a book after being made compulsorily redundant last year. It was a book of short stories (which I've not read any of yet) but it was quite amusing as when I asked him to sign it, he asked me who I was.smiley - laugh Other than that I didn't do much yesterday other than watch 'Good Omens'. You'll be glad to know they've kept the Queen soundtrack, however a lot of the little asides and details haven't made it into the series.

Are you all ready for your journey? It isn't looking very good for Southwestern Railways at the moment – who would have thought that they'd much rather lose millions than promise to keep a reasonable number of staff on their trains? Of course, if Southwestern Railways collapses, who knows what will happen to the brand-new 40-year-old trains we've been promised on the Island…

<BB<

SQ and BB

Post 2020

SashaQ - happysad

‘Sadly the website doesn’t say ‘Hash’ smiley - blue

smiley - blue

That was funny but not funny that your colleague didn’t recognise you, even though you went to his leaving presentation smiley - laugh Hopefully that just means his book signing was busy.

I didn’t see Good Omens, but that is pleasing that it has a Queen soundtrack smiley - cool

Yes, I thought of the Island line when I read about Southwestern’s woes... We shall see how I get on, but I have other options to try if they can’t help me get to/from Eastleigh...

The journey today didn’t start well because there were problems with the Wirral Line smiley - blue but I used another option so I am on the train and am looking forward to getting a decent cup of tea soon.

Key: Complain about this post