A Conversation for Septic Tanks

This thread has been closed

Detergents and Septic tanks

Post 1

Tedchapman

We have a 3 stage septic tank system, we have the usual washing machine and also a dishwasher.
does anyone know which detergents are safe to use in them.

Ted Chapman

Post 2

Trout Montague

We have "on site" effluent system too. We use Planet Ark for the washing machine and Squeek in the Dishwasher.

Post 3

Tedchapman

Thank you for your info, if I can ask the following.

1) do they clean well?
2) How do they compare price wise?
3) Where do I buy them?

Cheers Ted

Post 4

thekergon

I use BioD which you can find on the web, from ectopia. i have been using this for a year now in my washing machine--liquid i best for washingmachine as the powder does leave marks sometimes. The fabric conditioner and washing up liquid is good also. I have not found any good substitute for cleaners, degreasers and dish washing machine. Their soaps are OK. A spin off is that the products do not cause itching etc. They will deliver to your door too. Hope this isuseful. the kergon.smiley - magic

Post 5

maureen55

Hi,
You will find it very useful to visit www.wastetech.biz/septic-tank.php as it has a very good page on septic tanks and what you can and can't do with them. Also visit their 'do's and Dont's' page as it is the same rules for septic tanks as sewage treatment units.
As far as detergents go, liquids are better than powders (which contain a lot of surfactants)and stick with the same brands as the bacteria in your tank will become immune to the brand you use over time.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more