A Conversation for Septic Tanks

This thread has been closed

Septic Tank

Post 1

perfectgordon

I decided to change the covers on my septic tank.

Whilst clearing the earth around the four covers I found beneath the grass and weeds two vertical pipes which looked down into the chambers.

Both have earthenwear stoppers.

The system was installed twenty years ago and is working efficiently.

Can anyone suggest the pupose of the 4" diameter tubes or can I bury them again?

Thanks


Septic Tank

Post 2

Trout Montague

Could the holes be for visual inspection?

Or maybe lifting points to lift the lids?


Septic Tank

Post 3

Trout Montague

Or a vent?

Or an access for monitoring the scum level. Can you poke a stick in it?


Septic Tank

Post 4

Trout Montague

Here look at the top of page 5.

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/17/16670.pdf


Septic Tank

Post 5

perfectgordon

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I suspect the viewing holes is the answer as each is above a transfer point of content from one baffled area to the next.

It has also been suggested the acess pipes could be used to clear any obstruction but I think the manhole covers, which are quite close, would be easier for that purpose.

Thanks.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more