A Conversation for The Unknown Warrior

A866306 - The Unknown Warrior

Post 41

Mina

Okay, here's the problem. Having searched the internet for at least an hour, I cannot find a definite answer. I've found one link that mentions that the second Sunday in November is Remembrance Sunday, and one that states it is Remembrance Day. As I trust both these sites (being to do with the Queen, who is the person who 'decides' the date), I am going to believe that Day/Sunday are two different ways to say the same thing and that Armistice day is the 11th November. Therefore my entry is correct as it is because although that Sunday also happened to be Armistice Day, it was the Remembrance Day service. I'm happy to add a footnote to state that if it's unclear.

Unfortunately, it appears that the entry that I link to is wrong. smiley - erm

Here are the links that I used btw.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page372.asp
http://213.38.88.195/coi/coipress.nsf/3125f7fc7de1d0fb80256bf4003374ad/cf0b2a729b20670580256c5300364e69?OpenDocument

Post 42

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Extract from 'For The Fallen' by Laurence Binyon:

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

Post 43

Mina

I've updated the entry again, with ismarah's points, including adding a link to a history of gun salutes. The Unknown Warrior was saluted with the amount of guns that an Admiral would normally receive. smiley - smiley

And I do apologise for the poor planning of the date of this entry. It just happened to come up in the office sweepstake, and the date didn't occur to me until I saw it mentioned in this thread. smiley - doh

Post 44

Demon Drawer

Mina Remembrance Sunday is the one closest to the 11th. Ie it can be the 10th or 9th or 8th which are all first Sundays.

How do I know this I spent 7 years in the BB parading to the cenotaph and 5 years as an officer. So I've covered most dates at the cenotaph through that time including the 11th twice. smiley - winkeye

Post 45

Mina

I think that you might like to count that again DD... The first Sunday of any month can't be later than the 7th...

Post 46

I've been dredging some more, and this is what I found. Maybe it's more than you want to know.

As we know, the Armistice came into effect at the 11th hour of 11 Nov 1918. The 11th hour is an allusion to the parable of the labourers in the vineyard (Matthew 20:1-16)

11.11.1918 was called Armistice Day. In 1946 the name was changed to Remembrance Day. It is a legal holiday in the USA and Canada, and its name was changed there in 1954 to Veterans' Day.

Remembrance Day is also known as Remembrance Sunday. It was also called Poppy Day. From 1945 to 1956 it was observed on the first or second Sunday of November, commemorating the fallen of the 1st and 2nd World Wars. In 1956 it was fixed on the 2nd Sunday of November.

In medieval art the poppy sometimes represents the blood of Christ. It was adopted by the Allies after WW1 as a symbol of sacrifice, both from its colour and earlier significance and from its prominence in the fields of Flanders.

John McCrae wrote in 'Punch', 8 Dec 1915:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

The two-minute silence was first observed in 1919. A special nationwide two-minute silence began at sunset (8.38 pm) on 8 May 1995 to mark the 50th anniversary of VE Day (Victory in Europe Day, the end of hostilities after WW2, 8 May 1945).

Post 47

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

The proper title is the 'Medal of Honor.' Although it is often called the Congressional Medal of Honor, CMH, the Blue Max, or 'The Big One.'

I would suggest that since the 'Medal of Honor' is a title, that Honor should be spelt in the American fashion.

http://www.cmohs.org/

Post 48

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Bruce says Armistice Day, and since he spent 12+ years in the Army, he should know.

Rememberance Sunday is the second Sunday in November.

smiley - ale

Post 49

Stuart

Because the 11th is in the latter half of the first two weeks in November, Rememberance Sunday will always be on the second Sunday of the month, or put another way, the closest Sunday of the month to the 11th. They both work out the same, regardles of which day the 11th falls on. Armistice Day is always on the 11th - and I spent 22+ years in the Army.

Stuart

Post 50

ismarah - fuelled by M&Ms

Mina - this is so smiley - weird ! I spent much of yesterday monitoring this thread, updating it regularly. But somehow, I didn´t see your answer to my points there at all until today smiley - huh
Now I´ll have to go home and have Tree look at my smiley - bigeyes
scratching-head-cheerssmiley - disco ismarah

Post 51

Mina

I'll change the medal name to the correct form. Thanks! smiley - smiley

Does this continuing discussion about Remembrance Day mean that I'm still wronng?

Post 52

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Err, I don't think so. I think Stuart (smiley - ok) was confirming what we'd already agreed. The second Sunday of November is Rememberance Sunday, and the 11th is called both Rememberance day and Armistice Day, although we're still undecided on which is the official title. I say Armstice, DD says Rememberance, so we agreed to differ, and suggested you mentioned both in the entry.

smiley - ale

Post 53

Mina

smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 54

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 55

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

smiley - peacedove
smiley - rose

Bubbly doesn't seem appropriate.

smiley - shark

Post 56

Mina

Thanks to the Community for agreeing to this being picked early. I'll make sure to start paying attention to the calender a bit closer in future.smiley - peacedove

Post 57

Congratulations Mina
smiley - bubbly
smiley - hug

Post 58

Mina

Thank you. smiley - smiley

Post 59

Stuart

Excellent Mina. I salute you.

smiley - rose

Stuart

Post 60

Mina

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post