This is the Message Centre for Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

a lovely little wagtail

Post 1

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

I can't decide whether it's a gray wagtail, in which case, that's about normal, except they usually winter along the East Coast of England, or a Yellow Wagtail, in which case this is an extremely rare site!

I know the little bird I saw was a wagtail because it wags its tail smiley - winkeye I need to have another look at it, hopefully tonight, to see which one it is.

It's quite strange because I've seen it twice now. Both times it's been sat on the ground near my car in the private car park. Perhaps it likes the colour of my car smiley - winkeye I've never seen this bird before. I've seen smiley - tits and chaffinches and the such, but never any other wagtail apart from the pied wagtail (lovely little things they are).

a lovely little wagtail

Post 2

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I could wag my tail, if that's what interests you smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

a lovely little wagtail

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Yay!

I've got goldfinches in our garden, never had them before smiley - diva

VV, we had a sparrowhawk in our garden yesterday. It had been feasting on a pigeon.. smiley - doh .. I'm not sure if there might have been two, because something quite large flew off as I went outside smiley - erm

a lovely little wagtail

Post 4

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Strangely enough, VV, the yellow wagtail is smiley - erm yellow, and the grey is smiley - erm grey.

They can be confusing, but the main area to look at is the head and back. The yellow, in the UK, has a yellow face and greenish yellow back, with a greyish stripe through the eye, and blackish flight feathers that run through to the tail. It also has black legs.

The grey has a slate grey head and back, and a black eye stripe, with dark flight feathers that are interrupted, before the tail, by yellow feathers both above and on the rump. It also has pink legs.

Be careful with the yellow as there are a number of distinct sub-species that have grey through to black heads. smiley - winkeye

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/y/yellowwagtail/index.asp

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/g/greywagtail/index.asp

Congratulations and happy watching...

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

a lovely little wagtail

Post 5

All I remember was it's yellow(ish) belly which is why I'm unsure which one it is.

Hey mum...at least you didn't have a BIG bird of pray (I assume a Buzzard) sitting on the roof of the house behind you. It was massive!!!

a lovely little wagtail

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

The Buzzard was sitting on the washing line pole..smiley - biggrin

Although that was about 6 years ago.. smiley - ok

.. and it was huge!!

smiley - magic

a lovely little wagtail

Post 7

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Pah, not only do we get buzzards, but sparrow hawks, ravens and golden eagles so smiley - tongueout

smiley - cheers

a lovely little wagtail

Post 8

ooooOOOOOoooo!!! Hark at him over there!! smiley - laugh

a lovely little wagtail

Post 9

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

well is it edible??

RJR (who missed his lunch and is really Hank Marvin)
smiley - smiley

a lovely little wagtail

Post 10

That's naughty!! You should eat!

Key: Complain about this post