A Conversation for The Creaky Joint

Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 1

Shirps

Hi, smiley - ok real serious stuff!!

Specialist thinks she may be being poisoned smiley - yikes - he meant the concoction of tablets - he took 4 vials of blood & we wait to hear. He was a "very nice" man though - very understanding. He puts the continous shaking down to age, which has really upset mum, understandably, she has always done her own needlework, but now can't manage it - the shakes have come on so fast. She can't even read now which really frustrates her.

My daughter is coming to visit on Sat & will call in with the baby - so that may cheer her a little.

Thanks for your concern & good wishes smiley - hug

smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 2

madmum22

Wow, I should think that her chemist would've noticed that the combination of medications might be problematic. I guess you can't assume anything, any more.

Myself, I read the literature that comes with my medications thoroughly, and note what it says about not combining one with another. (And I am not saying that you or your mum don't do that, it's just another obsessive habit of mine, and subject to sarcastic comments by the hubby!) I've had to have one or two meds changed because of side effects, and I had to ask the doctor to take me off the NSaids because you can't take them with aspirin. I've suffered from headaches all my life (no one can find a reason, but I've had some interesting curative suggestions!) and have found that the only thing that will get rid of the headaches is Excedrin - which, of course, contains aspirin. When faced with the choice of knee pain or head pain, I've opted for the knee pain. I am currently taking an herbal supplement for the knee instead.

That reminds me, my orthopaedic visit looms, and I still haven't made up my mind about those shots for the osteoarthritis. I guess I should call my insurance company and see if they're covered, at least.


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 3

Shirps

The chemists now just dish out what the doctor prescribes (I suppose if there was a really serious conflict he would check with the doc). Years ago my mother would go to our local chemist & 'he' would suggest a medication, but that was before all the regulations came in & more drugs became available.

The medication mum takes is a complete mix for emphesema, regulating heartbeat, slowing heartbeat, thinning blood, angina, anti-nausea tablets, smiley - yikes I can't remember any more! The spec. thinks it may be digoxin poisoning or that some of the drugs don't mix well with mum. I have heard that there are variations on one type of drug: some suit, some don't. So maybe the blood tests will show up something. Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that it is possible to buy knee-warmers that give gentle heat to the knee joint; I wonder if that would help to alleviate the pain? Or maybe it has gone too far for that smiley - sadface

You've probably heard this & done it, but do you have your eyes checked regularly? Or is it more like migraine?

The product called Glucosamine is very popular over here, I did try it a few years back, but my sugar levels went haywire & neither I nor the doc were sure whether it was the product or the inflammation!

I myself find that if I ache all over then a couple of hours in bed with the electric blanket on (not overhot though) helps - I think shivering with the cold makes me worse too smiley - winkeye

I don't know how your insurance works over there. Is it different cover with different companies or all standard, but with some treatments you would have to pay yourself?

smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 4

madmum22

Over here, different employers offer insurance through whatever company they choose. They're all different. The rates and coverage varies, too. Some plans might provide paid office visits, some might not; some might pay 80% for a certain procedure, some might pay 90%. And on and on it goes.

Glucosamine: that's the stuff I'm taking. Glucosamine sulfate. Little help, but better than nothing. The knee is pretty far gone; I even have arthritis up underneath the kneecap, which my doctor says is unusual. The best I can do at this point is use arthritis cream to ease the muscles around the knee. (They are getting poked occasionally by the bone spurs.)

Can we talk also about how much menopause sucks? I'm in perimenopause, and I already hate the hot flashes and the fact that my period comes whenever it feels like it. I am also losing my nouns, hence the fact that I couldn't remember 'Glucosamine.' When you're an English teacher, that's a bad, bad sign! smiley - yikes

My headaches - the bad ones, like I had yesterday - are more like migraines. I just had my eyes thoroughly checked last summer, and got bifocals. smiley - cry If I go blind and can't walk, and I forget how to speak all together, will someone please shoot me?!?smiley - sadface


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 5

Shirps

smiley - hugsmiley - cheerup

You'll have to change into a smiley - pony first, then they might consider shooting you smiley - rofl Think positive, I know it's hard & sometimes impossible when everything seems to be crowding in at one time. I fully understand, but, hey, you've got us now smiley - winkeye

Your knee sounds like it is in the same state as my brother. Not a happy situation to be in at all. Lets hope your specialist gets something done that works soon - when do you see him again?

I'm still waiting, with regard to the MeanPause (that's the "er, um, - while you try to think of the word you are looking for smiley - winkeye) However, I do have the same word problems, maybe it won't be long for me smiley - sadface. How young are you? I am hitting half a century in 11 days time, but had a hysterectomy when I was about 37&half - I don't know if that makes a difference. I take Evening Primrose in capsule form - have done for years - it worked in smoothing out my moods & I heard it helps during the MoP - may be worth looking into?

My sister-in-law used to have migraines, for years, then suddenly they seem to have stopped inexplicably smiley - erm

Speak later smiley - hug

smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 6

madmum22

45 now, 46 in August.

I think I'm having the menopause thing a little earlier than most women. That's one reason I quit smoking - fewer risks for cancer. Yeah, I quit smoking last November. Now I'm just bored to tears, except....

.....when I'm here! I love this place. I'm never leaving, except to go to the bathroom, sleep, and occasionally, eat. Unless I get a job, and am forced to leave.


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 7

Shirps

Puts paws to face in complete awe! How did you give up? I am desperate to give up, but this little bit of brain keeps stopping me - I have absolutely no will-power in this. I think that is why I am losing my teeth (gum disease - the bone that holds in my teeth is disappearing) & it is bad considering I have diabetes. I feel it is a crutch. My mother gave up when my nearly 28 yr old daughter was a baby - she says she lost her concentration & in her dreams she is always smoking all these years later Do you read books? I log on to a book reading thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F19585?thread=116314 I find I spend far too much time on here, I must admit I have bits & pieces outstanding, but have too much fun chatting You really ought to join a local class or group or ... something (I told you I ended up being a volunteer secretary of an art society for 11 years - 2nd thoughts: don't Hope to speak tomorrow, but if I don't I'll get back the next day - it's getting near time!


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 8

mari-rae

My mother had her knee replaced and the hospital staff forgot to remove an anti-nausea patch they had put on her during her post op recovery. The patch was left on her for two days. Mom ended up having LSD-like hallucinations from the overdose. It was a very bad trip, and she still has nightmares after 8 months. smiley - grr


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 9

Shirps

smiley - yikes that's awful!

Did it leave her trembling all over, including her face? Just wondering if the 2 anti-nausea tablets that mum is taking may be doing some damage.

smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 10

mari-rae

No trembling.... what a terrible state your Mum must be in from all those drugs. Might the trembling be due to withdrawal if she's come off the drugs all at once?????


smiley - hug


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 11

Shirps

No, she is still on them all - the specialist took 4 blood samples last Monday, but suspects Digoxin may be the cause of her feeling unwell. He said the shaking, I'm afraid, is down to age!!!!!! It has come on so fast though & mum is aching all over because of it.

There is absolutely nothing I can do, until we get the results which will probably be next week - I am really worried, I must admit.

My daughter is having problems with her baby - she is crying 24/7 & she & her husband are exhausted. He had today off work, but my husband is going to take me there tomorrow morning for a couple of days, so he can go to work & I will try to give daughter a bit of rest!!

It is our 3rd anniversary today, but instead of being woken with a drink & a kiss, it was a phone call from my daughter!

While I was having my hair "done" today (1st visit since beginning of December smiley - winkeye) my right hand thumb began hurting - ah well, the surgeon did tell me last year, after the op to the LH thumb that this one was on its way out too smiley - sadface

Oh, it all comes at once, doesn't it?

If I don't get a chance to use a computer - I'll prob. be back here on Saturday.

Take care all.

smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 12

mari-rae

Oh my goodness... have they taken the baby to the Dr? Is it due to colic? I found this.. don't know if it will help or not.

http://www.colichelp.com/

I'm sorry about your thumb acting up now. And your Mum. Having to wait a week for the test results is ridiculous. Happy Anniversary too.. what number was it for you? It sounds like a nice holiday somewhere warm would be what you need right now.

smiley - bubblyAnniversarysmiley - cake


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 13

madmum22

Happy Anniversary, Schirps!

My eldest daughter cried all the time, too. She had a bad case of colic, and it took about9 months for it to go away completely. I would certainly try that colic link!

My knee hurt something fierce yesterday. Of course, since it was Dave's day off, I had to do the shopping, and then bring all the bage into the house myself (as he was napping. That's always his excuse for not helping, in addition to the 'I don't plan on getting dressed today.') That entailed 3 steps up onto the deck, then 3 steps down; repeat4 times! Then there was the up-and-down into the basement with 2 loads of wash. And it's still pretty cold here: 20's as a high, with lower wind chills.

I like Christmas, and don't mind snow (as it can be pretty), but I hate it when it gets incredibly cold!

I got another informative brochure about the Syn-Visc injections, and this one says that the effects only last about 6 months (rather than the 6-8 that my doctor said.) It makes me wonder even more if 3 injections over 3 weeks will be worth it.....


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 14

mari-rae

I used to have a husband who stayed in his recliner too. smiley - whistle


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 15

Shirps

If it relieves the pain & makes life a little easier for you then it is well worth having the injections - remember what I said before: relax. It may be troublesome for a day or two after, but what the hec if the end result is better for you!!!

My daughter looked at the colic link - thank you - she found some very useful comments/information. She has been told by the health visitor that the babe is probably having a growth spurt & I think she needed some gripe water too. I have been with her since Thursday lunchtime & today the gripe water type liquid seems to be doing the trick, but at the same time we have noticed that she may need the next size nappy!! Therefore, I reckon it was a mixture of both smiley - biggrin

They have been asked to visit a friend in the US at some point, they are not sure whether they will be able to, but my daughter asked me to ask you what is the general opinion/reaction to breast-feeding in public in the US?

My back is really bad, I think it was due to doing more physical stuff than I am used to in one go & not really relaxing as I should. My arms ache too & I have had twitches from my feet & knees. So either I have overdone things during the past few days or it is the time of year. Anyway, tomorrow I am resting in bed with the electric blanket on &, if my eye is OK (explain another time) read & maybe finish a good book smiley - biggrin

Love to all
smiley - dog


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 16

mari-rae

Sorry, but breast feeding in public in the States is not done for the most part. http://www.007b.com/public-breastfeeding-world.php

I'm glad that the link to the colic pages was of use to her. smiley - smiley

Are you thinking of asking your Dr. for a pain patch?? I know there are side-effects, but they may be worth it if your pain is lessened.

smiley - hug


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 17

madmum22

Schirps, smiley - sorry to hear about your achiness; at least you seem to have had a good visit with your daughter and the baby. Hope the baby is also doing better.

American opinion on breastfeeding in public depends on who you ask. Many of us are okay with it, but there are still some prudes out there. The best thing to do is to ask someone (for example, your waitress at a restaurant); some businesses have an area set aside within a restroom for baby changing and feeding.

You asked earlier how I'd quit smoking: it's simple, we just ran out of money. It became a question of: do we eat, or do we smoke? We decided to eat. I used some leftover nicotine patches (I had about 8 days left), and Dave used this Smoke Away system (herbal supplements that cleanse the system.)

I tried to use that same system (the Smoke Away) before, and found that it didn't work for me, so it's not for everyone. (I basically couldn't leave the bathroom for more than 1/2 hour at a time!)

Here we are, smoke-free, and I still miss my ciggies! I don't have any cravings any more, but I miss them when I'm stressed. The worst part isn't the cravings - they are gone after the first week - it's the habit. You know, you have a cigarette when you get up, while you're on the computer, with your smiley - coffee and smiley - cake, after every meal, while on the phone, etc. That's the hardest part to get through.


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 18

mari-rae

Does the smiley - cake taste better now, though? smiley - winkeye

(been there... done that...)


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 19

madmum22

It's odd; since I quit smoking, food seems to taste much blander. I have to use a lot more herbs and spices when I cook now, if I don't want everything to taste like cardboard!

Mari, I read the entries on that link about breastfeeding; seems that it's different depending on where you are, so the best advice is to just ask! I take exception with the general assumption that some of these women are making: that most women don't breastfeed because they are ignorant. I personally didn't breastfeed because I was a smoker. I know many other women who did decide to breastfeed.

I also tend to wonder how intelligent some of the commenters are; it may be elitist, but I often tend to judge someone's expertise by whether or not they can spell!

smiley - sorry, I am feeling kind of cranky today.smiley - cry Explanations will be found in my journal (as soon as I update!)Don't take me too seriously, please!


Serious arthritis, medical chat

Post 20

mari-rae

No worries, I don't agree or disagree with anything on that site. I just found it at random and thought it might help. I'm way past worrying about breastfeeding! smiley - laugh

Since becoming housebound I've put on weight and have been trying to lose it before my operation. What a struggle when you aren't excercising! I've been trying a low-carb/high protein diet (not Atkins, but similar... you get carbs at dinner)... and now I'm worried that all the cheese and eggs I have been consuming have pushed my cholesterol levels up into unacceptable territory and they'll refuse to operate on me when the time comes...smiley - sigh So now I'm trying to lose weight and lower cholesterol too, which leaves me with not a lot to eat. smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more