A Conversation for The five pillars of Islam: Imaan - Faith

Peer Review: A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 1

Rik Bailey

Entry: Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan) - A969915
Author: Muzaakboy - Better than the right thing is one who does it - U208494

Hi, just though I would write some thing like this.

Lots of people know what Muslims believe and that they pray, but they do not know how, why and other important things.

So I thought that I would write a set of entrys explaining the five pillers of Islam better.

What do you think of this one.

Adib


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 2

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I owuld make one superficial comment before I have a chance to read this more in depth. The use of 'pbuh' throughout the entry comes across as somewhat inappropriate. I understand that it stands for 'peace and blessings upon him', which is customary when mentioning his name in Muslim society. However, this *isn't* Muslim society that you are writing for: I'd wager that this entry is targeted a predominantly secular readership that attaches no more weight to the words of Mohammed than to those of any other prophet. The people reading this article will view him as a historical figure rather than as someone who should be venerated religiously, so don't presume that they will find this form of speech meaningful to them. Obviously your own faith is extremely important to you and we would not wish this to be otherwise, but others might see this kind of language as a distraction from the more objective parts of the entry.

I'll comment some more when I've had a greater chance to read through it in depth.

Cheers
FM


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 3

Rik Bailey

I know what you mean but I also have to point out that if I say Jesus(pbuh) I have to put (pbuh) after him and the same with Noah(pbuh) as in Islam we believe in all the people who have bought God's message forward.

I know what your saying, but It is not really something I am allowed to not include if you know what I mean.

Adib


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 4

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I'd say it depends in which context you are writing. You are writing for an online, secular encyclopaedia, so use secular language. I've heard Muslims speak on television in Blighty about Mohammed many times, adn I have never heard them use (pbuh). Perhaps, they feel it might set the wrong tone for their message - a venerating one - as opposed to an objective and dispassionate one.


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 5

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Could you supply a definition of 'Kalimah'? Is it a prayer or a pillar or something else?

F smiley - shark S


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I'm wondering why you have spelled pillars as pillers? To me, it looks like a typo.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A969915 - Overview of the five pillers of Islam part one (Kalimah Tayyibah - Imaan)

Post 7

Rik Bailey

yes it is a typo, as I do have very bad spelling and grammer.

As for Kalimah it just means declaration,
The first Kalimah is a declaration of faith.

Adib


Key: Complain about this post