A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

Terry Pratchett

Post 61

Gorthaur

Well I agree 100% with you Archangel, but I doubt any of us are going to convince Rimmer otherwise.


Terry Pratchett

Post 62

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Thanks Gorthaur smiley - smiley Nice to know I'm not imagining these things...


Terry Pratchett

Post 63

Researcher 219823

Did anyone here watch the series of sketches by Bremner Bird and Fortune? They showed it just as the Iraq invasion started. The cutting humour was very much the sort of stuff that appears in Mr P's books.

Of course since the BB+F stuff was all too real, one could only take so much of it at a sitting. The books Otto, are fiction and the takes on life are more easily strung together.


Terry Pratchett

Post 64

[...]


Well I do have a 'proper' copy as I've got Eric in single form aswell and yet it still doesn't have illustrations...


I think the main clue here is the fact that the 27 novels have "A Discworld Novel" on the cover..

Yet Maurice and Free Men have "A Story Of Discworld" on them and Last Hero? IT SAYS "A Discworld Fable"


Terry Pratchett

Post 65

ally the cat

Terry Pratchett has been my favourite author for a long time. I don't know any others who can make me laugh out loud the way he does, people tend to think I'm a bit mad. My favourite books are those about the Watch, Guards Guards and Night Watch in particular. I also love those featuring UU, the Bursar and Ridcully are hysterical! Dried frog pills anyone!!!


Terry Pratchett

Post 66

snazoo

I recently saw a couple of movies based on Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music. Has anyone seen them? I'm thinking of purchasing them but I don't want to waste money if they're crap.


Terry Pratchett

Post 67

Farlander

i must confess that i have a soft spot for the discworld books featuring death. my favourite of course is 'reaper man'... although i find 'hogfather' incredibly amusing as wellsmiley - smiley


Terry Pratchett

Post 68

Nightowl

What about _Good Omens_, co-authored with Neil Gaiman?

That one gets my vote.


Terry Pratchett

Post 69

MadHamish : Off in the real world!

Personally I have developed a huge soft spot for Sir Samuel Vimes and Lord Havelock Vetinari.

MadHamish
(Oh! I also dig the old deaf abd violent guy in the wheel chair)


Terry Pratchett

Post 70

Researcher 219823

If you mean the cartoons; they are dreadful. The direction has all the panache of "what happens now" -only its the entire crew saying it =including the director, not the audience. Never the audience!!

For comparison the books have you thinking "what happens next?" and most fans wondering "how does he manage all this??". There is none of that with the cartoons.


Terry Pratchett

Post 71

Mammuthus Primigenius

I thought the cartoon of soul music was rather good.


Terry Pratchett

Post 72

Hoovooloo

I've listed my favourite books elsewhere, and there was a Pratchett among them, but two things I need to say here:

1. In "Soul Music" it's just possible that the band "Suck" would be a four piece whose members wear distinctive black and white makeup covering their faces... and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their most successful song was "Crazy Crazy Knights"...

Anyone need any more clues?

2. Favourite quote is from Death, to Mort, in (natch) "Mort":

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST US.

I LOVE that.

H.


Terry Pratchett

Post 73

Gorthaur

My favourite quote is from "The Truth" in which Lord Vetinari states:

"I have certainly noticed that groups of clever and intelligent people are capable of really stupid ideas."

smiley - biggrin


Terry Pratchett

Post 74

[...]


I think the most wise of quotes come from Lu-Tze... Just wish I could remember The Way!


Terry Pratchett

Post 75

Advocatus Diaboli

No idea, but it sounds vaguely like something Dr Johnson might have said.


Terry Pratchett

Post 76

Researcher 219823

Bloody Stupid?


Terry Pratchett

Post 77

Researcher 219823

Bloody Stupid?


Terry Pratchett

Post 78

Researcher 219823

Bloody Stupid?


Terry Pratchett

Post 79

Researcher 219823


Bloody Stupid Server!


Terry Pratchett

Post 80

Advocatus Diaboli

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post