A Conversation for how to play the harmonica

Peer Review: A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 1

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Entry: how to play the harmonica - A956388
Author: rev. paperboy - U217976

I realize this is still a bit long but hopefully it meets all the other requirements. As previously stated a similar version does appear on another website at Tokyo-blues.com but I own the copyright to it. If necessary this entry could be split and sections such as active listening could be removed, possibly to stand alone as separate entries
this humble scribe and bluesman thanks you for your kind attention


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Excellent entry. I think I'll go out and buy myself a harmonica!

I've only two suggestions:

"the fourth note from the key the song is in" - should be "the fourth note above the key the song is in".

I don't know whether people outside of America will recognise the phrase "shave and a haircut". We probably all know that distinctive rhythm, but might not know the name of it.


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 3

McKay The Disorganised

Very good - smiley - ok I might even try it myself.

Woke up this morning Blues sitting on my face...

I said...


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 4

Number Six

This is looking pretty good - there are just a few typos and a couple of places where you could do with a comma before a 'right?'. Do you fancy just having another quick proof-read through it, rev. paperboy?


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 5

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

absolutely No. 6, but should I resubmit to peer review for a third time or what?
Give us the information No. 6....we will get it, by hook or by crook


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

You don't have to resubmit. You just make the changes, and then post a note to this conversation to say they are done. We'll have a look and see if we think the entry is now OK, then it's up to a scout to pick it.


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 7

Number Six

Indeed.

smiley - winkeye


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 8

Mu Beta

This is looking great, paperboy!smiley - ok

With another proof-read and a sympathetic Sub-editor (might bagsy this one myself, actually), then this'll make a great Front Page entry.

A few nitpicks:

- Your 'how to play a scale' bit looks a bit inaccurate to me, even for a blues scale. I reckon you should just use the simple ocatve scale (blow 4, draw 4, blow 5, draw 5, blow 6, draw 6, draw 7, blow 7), to begin with.

- Remember that you're writing for a British website, so it might be as well to convert the prices near the beginning into pounds sterling. (What is it these days? About $1.60 to the pound, I think.

- Unfortunately, if this is to make it into the Edited Guide (and I certainly see no reason why not), then your links to non-Edited entries (10 Ways A Harmonica can save your life) will have to be deleted.

When you're talking about bends, I know it's hard to describe, but I was always told to press my tongue into the roof of my mouth (as if saying a letter 'l'), and then exaggerate the movement while maintaining air pressure. For completeness, it might be worth mentioning the feasibility of 'blow bends' in the top octave.smiley - smiley

Other than that, a damn fine entry.smiley - ok

B


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 9

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

B - thanks for some excellent suggestions, which I have incorporated into the piece. I've given it a last read through and fixed a few things. It is still a bit long. The active listening, players of note and harp resources could come out to shorten it as could links to non-approved guide entries. I would like to keep the link to my own harmonica do's and don'ts in there as I think the two should be accepted together as related items. I also prefer to keep the aforementioned sections in as I think it is useful info for complete beginners.
As far as sub-editing is concerned - would you? please? You seem to know what you're talking about and this one does need a certain amount of 'expert' knowledge. I make a living editing other people's stuff, but I am lousy at editing my own copy. How do I know how close or far it is from inclusion in the guide?


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

If you say it is ready, then the next stage is for a scout to pick it. This could happen within hours or it could take weeks. Once it's been picked, it takes a few weeks with the sub-editor before it reaches the front page.


A956388 - how to play the harmonica

Post 11

Mu Beta

Two things:

I still maintain that the last thing that you need to be worrying about is whther it's too long or not. If it turns out to be, then the Editors will split it in a sensible place, and turn it into a serial, but not without consulting you.

As far as subbing goes, I will put in a special request for this one when it is picked by a Scout, but whether I get it or not, all our Subs are very competent, and the vast majority will consult you for advice if they need it.smiley - ok

B


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Mu Beta

Many congratulations!smiley - bubbly

B


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

Number Six

Wa-hey!

smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

well blow me down! This does not suck!

boc's (beverage of choice) all round genties and ladlemen


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Researcher 219823


It draws.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Mu Beta

smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

*gentle smattering of applause for an original harmonica joke*

B


Key: Complain about this post