A Conversation for The Absolutely Inebriated History of Bowhunting

Hello

Post 1

Boots

I take it you shoot? You know an awful lot for merely an observer! I too shoot and so did my partner Ravager. He was of your belief...no sights...no let off...just 'feel'. I embraced the compound bow alas being small in stature and poor of eye. The pleasure we both enjoyed and shared was still of equal value. It is at the end of the day 'you against yourself'. We never hunted and preferred field to target. For us it was like a chess game with yourself as the opponant...the closest thing to zen I have ever experienced. The eyes are gone now but the memories of halcyon days in woods and glades will stay with me forever. It is good, archery. Thank you for this entry it brought back many good times.
take care
boots


Hello

Post 2

RAF Wing... Lookee I'm Invisible!!

Well, thanks for saying so. I wrote it more as a joke for my roommate Rita than as a primer on archery. She had just been forensically savaged by a group of rednecks on the internet and needed to laugh a little bit.

But your instinctive conclusion is probably correct. I've been shooting bow and arrows since I was a little girl which is sort of unusual but then some families don't have a lot of money for .22 rifles so you end up with something you can make on the spot that don't cost nothing.

Even so, if anybody on the rez bothers with it nowdays they'll most likely get a compound just like the rednecks.

I'm small of stature too. It ain't brute force but finesse I think that gets the best results. I shoot a 52 pound bow that my boyfriend bought me that was made in Canada I think. It works better than the old juniper ones I used to shoot but then it should. It cost way more than they did.


Hello

Post 3

Boots

Impressed! The max weight I could hold on a recurve (Brit expression?) was 45lb...and a bit wobbly on 80 yards at that! My great love was an old Hoyt. A very long limbed lady of the early compounds but she was so sweet and forgiving... Aaaah we had some wonderful days together! I still have a Hoyt (had to give up my baby when we moved) but not as sure as my old one...could be the eyes! Haven't shot for about seven years but the last four arrows I ever shot (indoor range) were all in the gold! I can live with that memory!
Good to chat.
take care
boots


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Absolutely Inebriated History of Bowhunting

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more