A Conversation for The library

Books

Post 21

Tevyn

I don't know, I've enjoyed some of Pratchett's more recent ones. The plots don't seem quite the same to me, just following similar themes.

Take the Granny Weatherwax novels, for instance. They all seem to parody some well known piece of literature, usually a play. Maskerade was a parody of Phantom of the Opera, Three Witches was a parody of Macbeth, Lords and Ladies was a parody of A Midnight Summer's Dream.

Also, My wife read the one (Can't remember the title offhand) that he wrote with Neil Gaiman about the two angels of satan and heaven trying to pevent armageddon... She said that it was one of the funniest Pratchett books she had read.

Have to admit, though, in his earlier books he was more prone to branch out in new directions. Now he seems to want to stick with established characters like Granny Weatherwax and Rincewind. Personally my favorite character is DEATH.


Books

Post 22

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I agree with you about Pratchett - I love his early books (Nanny Og is my favourite character) - I think he is getting a bit tired with it all but is now so locked in to the series it is like he can't stop.
But the newer books do have moments that are priceless - its just that there aren't as many of them anymore.
Can I name drop?? I met him twice when he was in Sydney recently and am pleased to say I really liked him - a very warm and friendly fellow.


Encouraging Children to Read

Post 23

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Does Callum like the "Spot" books?? My niece loved them when she was little - all those lovely little doors and things to pull and open and all ...


Books

Post 24

SMURF

The book you're thinking of is called Good Omens and I agree it is excellent. I think Pratchett may be just getting set in his ways. I think you may have been able to put into words how I feel about him better than I did.

I hadn't noticed the Shakespeare thing until you mentioned it though.

A good spoof of Romeo and Juliet is "Romanoff and Juliet" by Peter Ustinov. We read it for GCSE years ago and it's hilarious. It also takes the mick out of the superpoweres (Iblieve it was written when Regan was president but I can't really remember).

Another thought provoking book is "Whose Life is it Anyway?" by a David somebody.


Books

Post 25

SMURF

I met Anne McCaffery in Oxford about 6 years ago and she was such a dear old woman. I couldn't believe it but she was just like my gran!


Books

Post 26

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I also met Anne McCaffrey in Sydney and I agree - now there's a lady whose books I really enjoy! And not just the Dragonrider series - have you read her Powers That Be series - or The Ship Who series - it's amazing that someone who, as you said, is just like your aunt is so prolific in so many different scenarios.
Maybe Pratchett could learn a few things from her. When I read McCaffreys books I can't put them down - but I never want them to finish. BTW when I met Anne McCaffrey I also met Frank Herbert - I am not a great Dune fan but I bought one of his books and had him sign it. He was not as approachable as Anne McCaffrey - a bit "I'm just here to sign the book" sort of thing.


Books

Post 27

SMURF

I'm not keen on Dune but my partner, Stuart, is a big fan. He's also very keen on Morecock.

I haven't read any McCaffery since I was a teenager but I found her very good.

I also like Iani Banks. I prefer his non-sci-fi books though. I met him in Glasgow and he's such a nice guy. Looks like a streotypical computer nerd type. But a great laugh. I met Clive Barker in Glasgow too. I love his books, so full of imagination with just enough gore for my taste. He's quite an alright guy too but he obviously really enjoys the fame thing.


Books

Post 28

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Could never get into Moorcock - might have to try him again - and Barker is just TOO horror for me.
I always felt that if you shook hands with Barker you would have to count your fingers afterwards.
You should try some of McCaffreys newer books - though after Barker they might be a little tame - but I have found that her later stuff tends to provoke some interesting thoughts - they leave me feeling a little more optimistic than Barker does smiley - smiley


Books

Post 29

SMURF

At the mo I'm persuing my other passion which is the Russian Revolution. Reading an interesting book called Michael and Natasha. It's about Tsar Nicholas's brother.

Another good writer is Brian Lumley. His Necroscope series is great. I like things about vampires.


Books

Post 30

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I have a friend who is Canadian of Russian descent - last year she went to Russia to trace her family and found out that her family has some connection with the last Czar (Tsar?)
Apparently a great uncle/cousin or something was related to one of the Czar's doctors and she found some distant relatives still living in the apartment (or part of it) that he was awarded for his services.
She also was given a copy of the family memoirs and is working on translating it into English. A really fascinating era.


To Kill a Mocking Bird

Post 31

Cheerful Dragon

This probably is a great book, but I'll never be able to read it again 'cos it was picked apart before my very eyes in English Literature
'O' level classes umpteen years ago.


The Library

Post 32

Cheerful Dragon

War and Peace is a book I've read several times. It does get heavy going when Tolstoy starts to get philosophical, but stick with it. If necessary, think of it as an 18th century soap opera or mini-series (if that's not too low-brow).


Books

Post 33

Cheerful Dragon

I must admit that Anne McCaffery is one of my favourite authors 'cos I've got a thing about dragons. I've never met her, though. (You lucky people! smiley - smiley)


Books

Post 34

Peta

She is very readable. I like the Crystal Singer. Science Fantasy is not really my thing. I prefer science fiction, but they are good fun.


Books

Post 35

Tevyn

It took me awhile, but I finally did develop a taste for Anne McCaffrey. And I also noticed references to Michael Moorcock. I love his work, but it is something that you have to cultivate an appreciation for.

Unfortuately, I haven't met any of these fine authors in person. I believe you could count on one hand the number of celebrities I have met and still have a finger or two to spare. Perhaps someday...


Books

Post 36

Peta

Terry pratchett - I have tried. I just don't get it. I know I am missing out. But no, what ever it is I don't see it. Enlighten me? What is about TP books?


Books

Post 37

SMURF

Wow. I would love to read them if/when she does translate them. I am fascinated by the story of the last Tsar and his family.


The Library

Post 38

SMURF

I've read Memories of a Geisha, also very good. Another good one, although Japan this time, is the book the film The Pillow Book was about. However I can't remember the title so if anyone can help I'd be grateful.


Encouraging Children to Read

Post 39

SMURF

Yeah he thinks they're great. He also quite enjoys Maisie.


Books

Post 40

SMURF

I think it is the parody with real life but they can be a little obscure. Certainly he was much better at it in his early works. Often it is a certain word that when you re- read it a few times suddenly you see he's taking the mick out of something. I also like his very sarcastic nature.


Key: Complain about this post