A Conversation for Random Quotes Guild-Lurking Where All Fine Quotes are Quoted

INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 281

Catwoman

Reply to all, very overused. Only helpful if you think all the people on the list would be interested/helped by what you're about to say.
In an ideal world, you'd never get an email that was sent to that many people anyway.


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 282

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

"Reply All" is the bane of my existence.

On a daily basis, I get perhaps 50 emails sent to the email for the Federal Department for which I work. They, in turn, are forwarded to my email at the office at the company for which I actually work. 99% of those emails are forwards of forwards of forwards (Yesterday I have one that had been forwarded 5 times before it got to me), and the majority of THOSE are either "Out of Office Reply" or "Absence from the Office" (the difference being that one tells people that someone is away from their office for a day, and the other is from people going on holidays).

Recently it has been "Signing Authority", telling everyone from the Minister responsible to the photocopy guy in one of the largest Federal Ministries, who to go to when you need money for travel expenses.

A few weeks ago, we got an official; email from Someone-Very-High-Up regarding the new precautions being taken at airports, and the Government's policy on employees who could have come in contact with SARS. Very informative... very reasoned... very timely....

Within a few minutes, however, there was a panicked Reply All sent by an Administrative Assistant "somewhere at the top", obviously meant for one particular person, but sent to everyone in the entire Ministry, including co-op students and contractors, asking what they should do about "#### ####" when she returned, as she had been spending the last 3 months in China (Should she be "allowed to return to work" etc.......

You would think that an Administrative Assistant would know better....


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 283

Darth Zaphod

AAAAAHA! Oh the horrors brought on by technology! erm...yeah. smiley - winkeye

DZsmiley - planet


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 284

Chauncey

I think that we should stop bickering about forwards and get some more people to join the Random Quotes Guild!!!!
Chaunceysmiley - angel


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 285

Darth Zaphod

SHH!

smiley - smiley

DZsmiley - planet


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 286

Chauncey

Nop can't sor not pos!!!

Oh man sorry about that, shortening words on H2G2, what was I thinking!

Chaunceysmiley - angel


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 287

Darth Zaphod

*sigh* sor. SOR?!?!? YOU KNOW how much I HATE that word...smiley - grr oh well...I'm ok now...*sigh*

DZsmiley - planet


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 288

Chauncey

I know that is why I did it!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!
Chaunceysmiley - angel


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 289

Slarti-Babs (his younger prettier sister)

hallo girls!
I haven't been around for ages, nor likely to be much in prominence for a while.
just a ramdom qoute to keep my hand in though

"Let me give you an example. If you go to an acupuncturist with a toothache, he sticks a needle in your thigh. Do you have any idea why he does that Mrs.Rawlinson?

"No, neither do I Mrs. Rawlinson, But we intend to find out."



Dirk Gently, as an explanation of the interconnectedness of all things.


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 290

Darth Zaphod

Nice quotesmiley - winkeye And great book! Thanks!

DZsmiley - planet


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 291

Catwoman

'sor' is silly, use 'soz' if anything.
'nop' is stupid, 'nope' is acceptable but not actually a shortening.
'pos' needs a double s.

(then it would make sense and be more readable)

I really hate the whole text message abbreviation it may be quicker to type but it's slower to read, looks stupid, and doesn't everyone have predictive text these days anyway? It's not as if you're being charged by the letter. And you can fit most messages into the amount of space you have. The only time it is okay is if you have to trim a few characters off to make the whole message fit. Other than that, don't do it.


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 292

Chauncey

Actually Catwoman, that wasn't me text messaging. It was me talking like most of the people in my grade do, it really annoys Katie and that is why I was doing it. It really didn't matter if I spelled anything wrong or forgot an s because Katie knew what I meant.
Chaunceysmiley - angel


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 293

Viojen 2*16+1+3+6=42. Fencing-it's escrime!

People talk like that at your school?!?!
There you go. You're witnessing the death, destruction, and decay of the english language.

Can't stand abbreviations and shortenings like LOL (smiley - laugh) and u (you). Annoys me no end. So I don't do them myself, and I've found that my typing skills are all the faster for it.


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 294

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

Net-speak always makes me thing of when (in the dim recesses of the past, probably before most of your were born) there were ads for secretarial schools on comic books and in magazines, that read"

"F u cn rd ths msg, thn u cd b a scrtry"....

This was supposed to be shorthand of some form, though I doubt many office depended on it.

The only quote I could find on abbreviations....

From The Simpsons (The family plays Scrabble)

Lisa: "Id," triple-word score!
Homer: No abbreviations.
Lisa; Not I.D., Dad, "id." It's a word!
Bart: As in, "This game is stoop-id."


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 295

Darth Zaphod

Yes...they talk like that in our school...constantly...they think it's cool...and it saddens me so. :'(

DZsmiley - planet


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 296

Catwoman

How can people talk like that? In speech you can't tell if someone it say 'u' or 'l8r' or soemthing equally pointless.

(then again many stupid things are done in the name of 'cool')


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 297

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. Gilda Radner

We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove. Mark Twain

"Many people fear nothing more terribly than to take a position which stands out sharply and clearly from the prevailing opinion. The tendency of most is to adopt a view that is so ambiguous that it will include everything and so popular that it will include everybody. Not a few men who cherish lofty and noble ideas hide them under a bushel for fear of being called different."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein

The young always have the same problem- how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another. - George Chapman

...and to see how far some people will go to ensure their neighbours conform.... http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/virtually_gardening/11040


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 298

logicus tracticus philosophicus

regulations are there for the obedience of fools and the guidence of wise men "heard many years ago"
my best one "WELL YOU LIGHT FIRES WHEN YOU GET COLD,DONT YOU!" said by seven year old boy after almost burning down house "yes it was me"smiley - laugh or "not if you dont swallow it" smiley - biggrin when working as a waiter and asked if particuler sweet was fatteningsmiley - doh


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 299

Chauncey

Hello bob3559, Darth will be along momentarily to add you to this wonderful guild!! As for word shortening, I do it quite often on accident. I don't mean to, it just happens!!
Chaunceysmiley - angel


INITIATEES POST YOUR QUOTE HERE!

Post 300

CoLdShIvA

"Football!?! Bloody Hell." Sir Alex Ferguson.


Key: Complain about this post