A Conversation for Winchester, UK - Some History

some more history: to be added

Post 1

Uncle Heavy [sic]

* Winchester College

Winchester College, founded by William of Wykeham in 1394, has the longest unbroken history of any school in England. The charter was awarded in 1382, and building work commenced in 1387. It was opened to educate 70 poor scholars a year, and to provide for their needs, and it still does this, although full fee paying students, known as commoners, were allowed to enter the school in the mid 19th Century. The college campus is set in a beautiful part of the centre of the city, and a number of the medieval buildings remain, most of which are still being actively used. OF course, other buildings were added, and the school has architecture from several different periods. There are close links with New College, Oxford, which was also founded by Wykeham, and links with Eton, which is said to have been founded with soil taken from the college.

* the round table is hanging in the kings castle. its not the original, but it is from the 13th century or so. i think it was invented by henry 2 or something...

* Winchester Cathedral

Work started on the current cathedral in 1079; it is built on the site of an older Saxon church

ill finish this later


some more history: to be added

Post 2

Uncle Heavy [sic]

Work started on the current cathedral in 1079; it is built on the site of an older Saxon church, which itself was an important early Christian centre in Britain. Cynegils, a west Saxon king, was baptised here in 635, and King Alfred was buried on the site in 899. The construction was presided over by a norman bishop, Walkelin, who replaced the previous saxon incumbent soon after the norman conquest. The original norman Cathedral was finished in 1093, but it has been greatly altered over the years. The tower collapsed in 1107, the blame for which was placed on William Rufus, an unpopular king buried underneath it. Various other changes have been made, too: the west face is only 600 years old, and butresses were added. William of Wykeham also had a hand in modifications at one point. The nave is the longest in Europe, with a length of 556 feet.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more