A Conversation for To Whom It May Concern

Found you!

Post 1

Boots

Thanks for the welcome. Will now work my way through your no doubt currently 'snow bound' past articles.
A true hiker by the looks of things. Keep thinking glabally and actinglocally.
Boots


Found you!

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> Will now work my way through...<<

Glad to see you getting around a bit.
If I may just offer another bit of advise, don't try to 'work your way through' anything here, mine or anyone else's. The joy of this place is its abandonment of linear logic and notions such as 'progress' or 'process'. There is no getting from here to there because wherever you are, there you are.

Unlike school or work where one begins at the beginning (or the bottom) and sets an objective or goal to which one aspires, this place is circular in a four (or possibly five) dimensional way. Some people will be here for years striving to achieve what you achieved on day one, getting your first entry published in smiley - thepost

A922673

Congratulations! But the wonderful thing is, you are not now obliged in any way to maintain these high standards of participation, nor should you allow yourself to believe that it's all down hill from here. Not by a long chalk. Because up, down, backward and forward mean nothing in cyberspace. What does matter is clarity of communication, freshness of expression, an open mind, the ability to say 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe' (often at the same time to several people), a sense of humour and strong broad shoulders with which to shrug off the rest of the drek. (There is still some life in the argument that drekk should have two 'k's but I don't think it has a chance, for I have seen the future and it is long since passed.)

smiley - cheers
~jwf~


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more