To Whom It May Concern

3 Conversations

My Dad

December 5, 2002



Dear Sir or Madam:



December is the darkest month. At least it is in the Northern half of the world. The antipodeans (those who live below the equator) are enjoying warmth and sunshine while I and my fellow Canadians are freezing in the dark.



This climatic division of the world is one of the most perplexing divisions we human entities must contend with. And strangely, it divides us here at h2g2. It ought not to, but it does. In
an almost painful way. Whenever we speak of the weather or the seasons from our northern point of view, we risk offending or at least confusing all our southern friends.



The h2g2 mission, to create a guide to the galaxy, must as all things must, start with a first step. The first step to a guide to the galaxy is an understanding of this our home planet, Earth.



There is already much to divide this world. There are over 180 nations recognised by the United Nations. There are (or were) thousands of languages. There are five (or six) major religions. It becomes obvious very quickly to anyone with a hope of creating a 'world wide web' of
friends and like-minds, that these divisions are very difficult to overcome.



Sooner or later it becomes a disappointment to every new researcher to realise that this most 'universal' of websites is really limited to english speaking peoples and seems in particular to be mostly frequented by those in the UK.



No problem, I used to think, at least it is a beginning. Because the Empire used to span the globe we have researchers speaking English in every corner of the global map that used to be coloured pink.



We can differ and argue about religion and politics and football. And we can learn to cut thru our differences and establish understanding of our regional prejudices. At first it seemed to me we were being fairly successful about this. It was a beginning, a first step to opening our minds to other peoples in other places.



But I have lately become aware how just the difference of the seasons between the North and Southern halves of our globe creates a communications barrier. I began this article with the statement 'December is the darkest month.' and immediately realised that was only true for half of the world.



How can we ever hope to expand our understanding of different cultures, different religious beliefs and different political and other social structures if we cannot keep our minds open enough to remember that even our perceptions of the seasons are already in opposition to
half the world?


My Mom
Hoping you will take these thoughts into consideration,
I remain your most loyal and least dutiful savant,
peace,
~jwf~




To Whom It May Concern
Archive


~jwf~

05.12.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A891209

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more