A Conversation for A Guide to Canadian English

correction

Post 1

Mew Gull

A few corrections:

Under 'Cowtown' Calgary is not the capital of Alberta. It is the largest city, however the capital resides in Edmonton. (a city which, if you are from Calgary, has several semi-derogatory nicknames).


correction

Post 2

Mew Gull

Also:

'Lotusland': you have listed as Vancouver. While this is partly true, the term is more often applied to coastal British Columbia generally. This is often ascribed to the laid-back atmosphere, and more progressive social scene. Interestingly, this name, along with 'La-la land' can partly be traced back to the B.C. Rhinoceros Party, a 'fringe' political party which many believe was formed as a joke. I believe they have an entry in the Guide, but I am not sure. To illustrate, Australians among the readership may find a rough equivalent in the Deadly Serious Party of Australia. I'm sorry, but I know of no comparable American or British example, although I am sure they exist.

'Hogtown': Correctly identified as Toronto. The story I heard for this name was that initially there were a large number of pig slaughterhouses in Toronto, which led to the name sticking. This name is generally considered derogatory, and can be seen as part of the general anti-Toronto sentiment apparent in most Canadians (esp. in the West). Note, Toronto is also known as T.O., or the G.T.A. (Greater Toronto Area), but these terms seem only to be used by folks that live there.


correction

Post 3

ani ibiishikaa

Hoser, Hosehead: I don't think these are necessary putdowns. I think they can also be affectionate references, somewhat like 'you little tinker' or even 'you little stinker.'

'Hoser' as Putdown:

'Well, yknow, I bin thinkin...no good's gonna come from inviting Buddy over there lives by the Mall, yknow; yknow, Buddy lives by the Mall with the pitbull? No good. No way. Always leavin his beer bottles on Buddy's driveway, you know, the other Buddy with Willy for a cousin? Yknow, Willy with the Dodge Ram? Yknow Willy, man! Yeah Willy! Buddy with the pitbull, though: no good. Guy's a hoser!'

[Notice that eventually the speaker will forsake the use of the Canukian noun/pronoun 'Buddy' and use some other Canukian noun/pronoun such as 'Guy,' but only when it is clear to all listening that the person being referred to as 'Buddy' lacks the status necessary to have his name remembered. Ownership of a Dodge Ram accords instant status.]

'Hoser' as affectionate reference:

'Dja see Sundin miss that shot? Hoser, eh?'

[Now there is no way a Canukian from Turanna would use the term 'hoser' as a putdown of Leaf player Matt Sundin. The speaker is expressing surprise, disappointment, worry, but also affection for and fidelity to the source of surprise, disappointment, and worry; namely Mr Sundin. Moreover, by having the cheek to call Mr Sundin a 'hoser,' the speaker assumes some status for himself.]'

Kind regards, Ani.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more