Alabaster House Journal

1 Conversation

Someone holding a green flag with lots of people on it (Republic)

Meet the President at the Presidential Meet

I hope everyone read the wonderful Guide entry Mi Amigo: the Fate of a
Flying Fortress
written by Pinniped. It is a perfect example of
why the Earth Edition of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is superior to Wikipedia. It is a moving chronicle of events rather than a dry recitation of facts.

I'm a wee bit annoyed at the folks who want to turn the Guide into a
Wikipedia clone. And at the ones who say that continuing with the Guide is irrelevant because Wikipedia does it better. The Guide isn't supposed to be another boring encyclopedia. It is a travel guide. There's a hugh
difference, my friends.

The Guide is informative – just like an encyclopedia. But it is also
interesting and quirky and gives a real flavour of life on earth. I daresay that a visitor from afar would get much more out of the Guide than from reading Wikipedia. So enough already. Wikipedia could never be the Guide, and we sure don't want to be like Wikipedia.

Name Change

I have decided to rename the Hillbilly Meet. Henceforth it will be
referred to as the Presidential Meet. That sounds much more dignified. We all know how dignified I am. Besides, any old hillbilly could host a
hillbilly meet. I'm the only one who can host a Presidential Meet.

Another thing I've been a bit concerned about is that some people who
might otherwise make an effort to attend will be put off by the thought of my moonshine making, revenuer shooting, banjo playing, coon hunting
relatives. By downplaying the hillbilly nature of the event, I can project an aura of normalcy and control. Also, when explaining to your relatives that you're going to Missouri for a Fourth of July picnic, it will let you say that you're going to an event hosted by the President of an international organization who is a respectable, grandmotherly library director. See how much easier that is that saying you're going to spend the day with a bunch of hillbillies you've never met before. Finally, I don't want everyone to feel obligated to buy overalls and John Deere caps.

Now, I suppose you want to know the particulars. The Presidential Meet is open to h2g2 researchers and their mates/kids/travelling companions. It will be held on July 4, 2006 in Webb City, Missouri. We're going to fire up the grills and the turkey fryers and have a traditional summer cookout and then end the event with fireworks. I expect people to arrive at all hours so don't worry about getting here at any particular time. Come for breakfast (biscuits and country gravy) and stay all day. And yes, there will be homemade alkeehol. Just because we aren't calling it a Hillbilly Meet doesn't mean that it isn't going to be one.

I imagine some of you are scratching your heads and wondering why on
earth anyone would hold a meet in Webb City. That's a legitimate question that deserves a serious answer. The idea really isn't as crazy as it sounds.

First, I am green with envy of all the London and European meets that I and other US residents can't attend. I had been throwing the idea around about a US meet with some of the US researchers for several months. After I was elected President, I decided that for me to host a meet would be a nice way of saying thank you to everyone for voting for me.

As to the actual logistics of holding it in Webb City, it does make
sense. At the risk of understatement, the United States is a big place. There isn't any location for a general meet that is going to be convenient for other than a few people. Webb City isn't exactly, but is close to being in the geographical center of the nation. (We're talking lower 48 here.) It is near the intersection of two major highways – Interstate 44 going east and west and US 71 going north and south. Webb City is also located on Route 66, for those wanting to drive America's Highway.

Granted, we aren't exactly a tourist mecca, but there are some interesting things to do nearby. So, for those of you coming a long distance, which will be nearly everyone, and who want to stay a few days, I am going to take some vacation time that week and will be able to show you the sites.

We already have several people who are planning to attend. So far we have hootooers from both coasts and from a few places in between on the list. We also have some researchers from Old Blighty who are making travel plans to the Ozarks. We are still several months away, so there is time to arrange your schedules so you can join us.

This is a chance for US researchers to meet their friends in person.
Good conversation, good food, local beverages, souvenir tee shirts. What
more could you ask?

For information and sign-up page

The h2g2 Presidential Election 2005 Archive

Hypatia

26.01.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A8810093

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more