Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing! Episode 11

1 Conversation

Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing!

Episode 11


'Wilhelmina, did you happen to pass any clowns just now, on your way to the counter?' Woodhed asked as his wife returned form the counter.

'I didn't notice any, dear,' she said, 'but then, there are always clowns in this place. You've seen them before, haven't you? T. C. Pip and Dotty?'

Come to think of it, one of them had looked like Dotty. The others not so much. One of them had been wearing dark glasses, and the other was a seeing-eye dog. Woodhed was pretty sure T. C. Pip didn't have any dogs. And this dog seemed oddly familiar. Where had he seen him before? 'Well, whoever they are, one of them dropped something,' he said, showing her the crumpled note.

'They probably meant for you to read it,' Wilhelmina said. Honestly, she sometimes wondered how her husband have ever managed to get elected President with the amount of brain fog he suffered. Well, he wasn't going to take the obvious hint, so she opened it herself. 'It says, 'Dear Mr. President, I have discussed the Nebraska crisis with some very knowledgeable people, and can give some good news and some bad. The good news is that the HTTP group is not from another planet. More good news: it is not from another universe. Now for the bad news: they have access to another dimension, a dimension so frightfully horrifying that you wouldn't want to hear about it while you are eating. That is all I dare tell you for now. Call me after 3:00. I might have more to say. Sincerely, Irving Sprilznick.''

She gave the note back to Woodhed and said brightly, 'See, dear? I told you this was the place to look for ideas.'

Woodhed suddenly realized that his Secret Service agents might be worth questioning about the clowns. Surely they had witnessed the whole scene with the clowns and the crumpled paper? But when he looked over to where the agents were sitting, he saw that they were dozing. They were lucky there hadn't been any assassins in the restaurant! He stood up, collected them, and marched back to the White House in high dudgeon, or at least as high as he could manage without his elevator shoes.

Post 2024 Writing Project Archive

Paulh

25.03.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88046904

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more