The h2g2 Post 25.03.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 25th March 2024

This week's title is Eccentrically Fixated. Clockwise from upper left: Rossi the grey-striped tabby sitting on a rock in the wild, TJ the orange-and-white kitty sitting triumphantly on the yellow birthday tote bag he has succeeded in winning from Molly, the shore of the Humber with the breakers called White Horses, an idyllic Welsh lakeshore with sunlight on boats, a belligerent-looking white swan on grass, blue and purple hyacinths, a view towards a lake across greening fields, another view of that Welsh lake, sunlit and cloudy at the same time, with a small hut seeming to float on the water, a peculiarly large, rusty-coloured sculpture of a fish hanging below a sign that says Cullicudden, and finally, a former church that is now an ice cream parlour called Holy Sundae. That ought to hold you for the week. Happy Holy Week.

Morning has broken, like the first morning,

Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird. . .


Eleanor Farjeon


The montage above represents on a small sample of the photographic riches we have for you this week: our contributors have reached halfway around the globe to bring you the observations of life, this planet, and, well, everything they saw.

The title? Oh, that comes from what my eye doctor told me I do: I have tiny blind spots called drusen that get in between my brain and the world out there. So, he said, I try to look around the invisible obstacles: I eccentrically fixate. I think that's a pretty good analogy for what h2g2's been doing for the last quarter century. We squint at reality. Sometimes it all comes together, like this week.

Willem's been exploring in the Makgabeng. Amazing photos have come to us from South Africa. Equally amazing photos are ours from the other side of the Equator, up in Cleethorpes. Beware of those swans: they mean business. In Scotland, the redwing is on the wing. One of them sat still long enough that even Paige managed to get a photo (from a cautious distance).

Meanwhile, in Wales, Robbie Stamp has an eye for beauty (also a good pub). We've devoted an entire feature section to bringing you those photos.

In other words, this planet's beautiful. It's also puzzling, as we observe again this week. Since it's Holy Week (greetings to those who observe), we show you a Pennsylvania church that is now an ice cream emporium with an appropriate name. Paige does a photographic test involving Scientific Thinking™, a car, and a big fish. I dug into the archives at the Library of Congress to bring you an alarming story involving cows, and TJ the kitty struts his stuff in a new video. Not to be outdone in weirdness, Awix has found TWO strange road trip movies, and one of them is in Icelandic.

Speaking of Holy Week, next Sunday is Easter. Since it will also mark the release of our April Fool issue, I will take this more sober occasion to share Paulh's request that you all remember Franz Joseph Haydn's 292nd birthday. Go read about him.

Check out the story serials. This week, FWR's is chilling, Tavaron's is thrilling, Paulh's is baffling, and Caiman's is adorable. Mine may not make much sense, but demonstrates that I have a Greek font on this computer and I ain't afraid to use it.

So, read, go hide some Easter eggs, and have a great week. Remember to send more Stuff.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.Cover for A Crime Has Been Committed, the latest omnibus book, available from Lulu.
Buy for yourself or
HooToo Fiction:
give as a gift!
(Click the pic.)
Best in the Galaxy!
(Click the pic.)


Quote of the Week: By Branwen O'Shea, novelist
That feeling where you go out in the woods for peace and quiet and some (insert choice expletive) person shows up playing a bagpipe.
A caveman outside his cave.


March 2024 Create Challenge:
Where I Live


Video Extra:
Saturday Rainbird
Click here in Ripley


NATURE, OBSERVED BY US
Exploring Makgabeng

Makgabeng sandveld by Willem.

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 9
Ein Posthorn
im stillen Land

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

FEATURED SPOT: FFORDDLAS



Blue Boar Pub
Notes and a drink, by Robbie Stamp.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
FURTHER OBSERVATIONS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88045419

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more