Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing! Episode 2

1 Conversation

Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing!

Episode 2

A collection of characters around a smoking outline of Nebraska.

'Mister President, this is General Millaise calling from NASA,' said the voice on the phone. 'Our surveillance satellites have picked up a possible problem with one of the Midwestern states, Nebraska to be exact...'

'Is it tornadoes again?' President Woodhed said hopefully, remembering that the last round of tornadoes in that state had given him some much-needed favorable publicity. 'I can be out there first thing in the morning. Oh, and I think there's still some money in the Federal Disaster aid account.'

'Well, sir there might be tornadoes there, but we can't be sure,' General Millaise said. In fact, we can't even see the state any more. To put it in plain English, Mr. President, Nebraska seems to be missing altogether.'

President Woodhed frowned as he scanned the caller ID device for signs that the call was from a prankster rather than NASA. 'Mister President,' the white House switchboard operator broke in, 'You have an urgent call from the Secretary of Transportation. Will you take it?'

'Gladly,' the president replied, little realizing that the next call would be even stranger than the last one.

'Mister President, this is Diesel Trayenne,' the Secretary began. 'We have quite a lot of truckers who are disappearing on the Des Moines to Omaha routes. A couple have returned to Des Moines unable to deliver. They say there's a big crater where Nebraska used to be. We didn't believe them at first, but NASA confirmed it. Anyway, one of them says the crater is turning into a giant lake because of the Oglalla Aquifer, or something like that. I hope we can straighten this out soon, 'cause the trucking industry is hurting.'

'Thanks, Choo Choo,' President Woodhed said sadly. This was looking like a one-term presidency for him, and the worst part was that he wouldn't have a home state to return to.

Post 2024 Writing Project Archive

Paulh

22.01.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88043240

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more