The h2g2 Post 19.02.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 19th February 2024

This week's theme is Children of Nature. Clockwise from upper left: A mesotherium, which is a cut-looking prairie-dog-like critter from the past, trying to be ferocious as it peers out of its den, a present-day corvid in a tree, a bluetit sitting on a branch and thinking about taking off, a snow-covered street in a Highland town, a cartoon dream in which a stick figure floats over William Blake's poem The Human Abstract, a frozen pond in Austria, an orange-and-white cat presenting a magnificent profile on the Editor's desk, which wasn't getting any work done because he's in front of the screen, and a decorated safari-type van in Mexico.

No Wolpertinger this week, but we do have strange sightings: early leprechauns in Paulh's trailer park (let him tell you about the blizzards of 1978), a weird tale of ecclesiastical mayhem, an annotated comic of yore, musical vandalism – and that's just the history part. Willem shows us some fascinating critters of yore, too.

Birds are doing things. So are cats. We've got photos. We've got video. You will be astonished.

We've asked for snow pictures. We got 'em, thanks to your efforts and those pesky weather patterns. Paigetheoracle had flooding one day and snow the next. Things are wild in the Highlands. Tavaron shows us some picture-perfect moments in Austria.

Meanwhile, the stories continue. Will the church survive the fête? Will Bluebottle come up with even worse jokes? In novellaland, has anybody seen Jack the Ripper yet? What are those wacky teenagers up to now? Is space colonisation epic and thrilling, or more like a particularly awful office meeting? Just how do you steal a whole state? How do you exorcise a Roman villa? How loud/messy/annoying is it? These and other questions you didn't know you had will be answered in this week's chapters.

Read, enjoy, leave nice comments, and share with your most casual acquaintances. Thanks and a hat tip to tech wizards Brian and Jim, who have taken a tour of the website and lived to tell the tale.

Have a good week, and remember: you do want to be the first in your neighbourhood to spot a robin/daffodil/crocus. Keep your cameras handy.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Twitter conversation of the week:

Garett Jones: Name other scholars beside Oppenheimer who spent their later years running away from their early work.

Alex Zawacki: Victor Frankenstein
A cross-country skier in a snow-covered landscape.


February 2024 Post Challenge:
The Unbearable Whiteness
of Snow


Video Extra:
Migratory Patterns (Scotland)
Click here in Ripley


WILD THINGS

(They Make Our Hearts Sing)

Bluetit Takeoff

Bluetit sitting on a branch and then taking off. By SashaQ.

THINKERS

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 4
Life in the Fast Lane

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

WEATHER REPORTS



1978 Blizzards
Alberta spruces in snow, by Paulh.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
LAST VIEWS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041468

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more