The h2g2 Post 27.11.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 27th November 2023

This week's title is It's A Wild World. Clockwise from upper left: a red, nailstudded door with two barred windows in a Gothic arch, a large brown-and-white dog sitting in an outdoor chair like a person, a treelined riverbank in low sun, a sea inlet with a glassy, reflective surface and a single curlew, a blue rocky coast with white spray from a blue ocean and a single seagull flying, morning sunlight making rays through a tree, a line of seaweed left by the tide, a blue-and-white budgie nestled in a human palm, and a lone ladybird on a wooden surface with a single point of sunlight glinting off her shell-like wing.

I've just finished watching Travelers for the third time. I think I've almost got the implications of this stellar Canadian science fiction series (it's on Netflix, folks). Time-travelling humans from Earth's bleak future go back and try to save us from ourselves. They appreciate all the little things: a meal ('broccolini! It's the bomb!'), sunlight, the beauty of that one lake in Vancouver that appears in every scifi movie, the endearing qualities of a terrapin. . .you get the idea.

People, the world is still here. We aren't yet struggling for our last glimpse of the sun before the ice encases our domed shelter forever. There are still bears in the woods (and occasionally in my yard). We still have a chance to save it. Maybe we can start right here, by showing it to each other. Which brings me to some fun news.

For some reason, the Youtube algorithm has been kind to us recently. I think their AI likes squirrels, bunnies, and birdies. I also think I should start using simpler titles. Whatever we accidentally did right, one of my squirrel videos got popular a couple of weeks ago and has 998 views. The following week, Tavaron's budgies got 983 views. We don't know why, but we appreciate the attention. Both wildly popular videos can be seen in this week's issue. Please enjoy them, share them, and consider sending me your wildlife footage for display. You might inspire a budding interest in biology in someone who in turn might go on to save the planet. Stranger things have happened.

We've got more wildlife, of course: let Willem tell you all about possums. I learned things – and I get possums in the yard (not just bears). Impressive critters, possums. There are also birds and a really stunning photo of a ladybird.

The scenery is good this week. Also the tourism: FWR shows you some doors. And a beautiful church. Paulh has found some more autumn trees. Paigetheoracle spots seaweed and other wonders of the Scottish coastal ecosystem.

Human activity is not scanted: FWR flies home, Awix watches Netflix, and Bluebottle prepares us for the next adventure. What can he come up with that is scarier than an Isle of Wight overrun by dinosaurs or vampires? Why, the church fête, or course. Ask a silly question. . .

You know what to do: read, discuss, distribute. Send more Stuff. I need Stuff. Who knows? Your contribution may have far-reaching effects. Or just make a friend smile.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. Can I start going around saying Waterloo was won by a magician who cast spells to defeat the French? After all, it's not a documentary and I wasn't there. . .

Kyle Glover, Twitter
Woolly mammoth and offspring in a snowglobe.


December 2023 Post Challenge:
All Things Holiday


Video Extra:
Chipmunk Nut Snatch
Click here in Ripley


CREATURE FEATURES
Virginia Opossum

Virginia Opossum by Willem.

STRAY THOUGHTS

  • Video
  • Jerusalem, my happy home.

DULY NOTED

A Dog's Life

A dog sitting in an outdoor chair, like a person. By FWR.


SCENERY




The Lights of Home
City lights from an airplane window at night, by FWR.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88037904

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more