Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, Illinois, USA

1 Conversation

Located in Chicago, Illinois, USA,
the Museum of Science and Industry (aka MSI) is America's oldest "hands-on" museum. As the name implies, the Museum's exhibits focus on the advancement of science and technology through history. Currently, the Museum hosts 20 permanent exhibits, eight online exhibits, one major temporary exhibit and an IMAX-style theatre (called, OMNIMAX). In addition, seasonal and holiday exhibits are regularly displayed.

The idea of an interactive museum dominates the exhibits. Moving in, over, on and around the exhibits offers a different perspective from most museums. It is very difficult to interact with priceless art or delicate fossils. Recreating work of that caliber in a more user friendly atmosphere is the goal of the Museum of Science and Industry.

Museum History and Facts

In 1893 the World's Fair, "The Columbian Exposition" was held in Chicago. Many of the exhibits were housed in the Hyde Park area of southern Chicago. The Museum is housed in the Exposition's 'Palace of Fine Arts', one of the finest Neo-Classical buildings in the Fair. Several of the other Neo-Classical structures also erected for that World's Fair still stand as Chicago cultural centers.

MSI first opened in its present form in 1933. This makes it the oldest museum of its kind in the western hemisphere. MSI draws approximately two million visitors each year. Around 50,000 artifacts are housed in the museum; many are recreated for hands-on display.

Specialties of the musuem

As a museum focusing on technology, the self-proclaimed "Highlights of the museum" include Apollo 81, the Aurora 7 Mercury spacecraft, a WWII captured German submarine, a WWII British Spitfire Fighter Plane2, a 3000-square foot (280-square meter) model railroad3, a 20-foot (six-meter) tall walk-through model of a human heart and veteran cars dating from the early 1900s.

Feel like visiting MSI?

The museum is located on the south side of Chicago, near 61st street and Lake Shore Drive, also near the University of Chicago. This neighborhood is called Hyde Park. The University of Chicago is located in Hyde Park too. Unfortunately, public transportation to the area is not fantastic, but the elevated train system will get you close enough to walk if the weather is nice. The Museum of Science and Industry is free on Mondays and Tuesdays, from September through February. Hours of operation are: May through August daily 9:30am-5:30pm; rest of the year Mon-Fri 9:30am-4pm, Sat-Sun and holidays 9:30am-5:30pm.

Here's the Official web site

1The first manned craft to orbit the moon2One of a surviving few that flew in the Battle of Britain3One of the world's largest model trains

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A880247

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more