Chicago, Illinois, USA

5 Conversations

This is an article UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're looking to do a comprehensive article on Chicago, Illinois, USA. Below is an outline of articles we would like to include. If you have any interest in contributing please, start a conversation below, or contribute to an existing one. Chicago has seen many visitors over the years, the opinions of those passing through are just as welcome as the opinions of those of us who live here.

Where is Chicago

Located on the Southwestern shores of Lake Michigan, in the northeast corner of Illinois, in the midwest of the U.S. lies Chicago.

Chicago's central location in the U.S. has made Chicago's O'Hare Airport a busy air traffic center for both business-to-business and commercial traffic. O'Hare officials like to call it the "busiest airport in the world", but since several other airports make that claim, it's hard to be sure who's math they're using.

History

Chicago History - DONE!!!

Chicago Culture

Chicago has enjoyed a rich cultural history. The World's Fair of 1893 sparked a great urban craving for local culture. The World's Fair of 1933 provided the city with many facilities to help house this culture. The "Loop", downtown area of Chiago finds an eastern border at Michigan Ave, bordered on the North by the Chicago River and 10 blocks north by Roosevelt Rd. This stretch of cityscape is fairly unique. Between Michigan Ave. and Lake Michigan there are extensive parks and public areas. The main road along the Lake is Lake Shore Drive. Between Lake Shore Dr. and "The Lake" there is only ONE private building when traveling north of downtown. This means that, for the most part, everyone in the city can enjoy miles of lake views and miles of open water access to this Great Lake.

Museums

Architecture and Architects

Here's a useful link for assisting researchers:Landmark's architecture

  • The Sears Tower - - -DONE!!!
  • The Chicago Water Tower
  • Navy Pier
  • Meiss Vanderaugh(sp?)
  • Louis Sullivan
  • Frank Lloyd Wright - from nearby Oak Park, Illinois
  • Other Famous Buildings in Chicago

Non-Museum Art

  • Street art
  • Cows on Parade

Film

  • Gene Siskel
  • Roger Ebert

Chicago HotSpots

Restaurants

    Chicago's more than Hot Dogs and Pizza, but we have those too!
  • Fine Dining
  • Hot Dog Stands
  • Under Construction: Pizza

Chicago bars and clubs

Chicago Locales

Chicago Festivals

Chicago Sports

  • The Chicago Cubs
  • The Chicago White Sox
  • The Chicago Bulls
  • The Chicago Bears
  • The Chicago Blackhawks
  • The Chicago Fire

Chicago Personalities

  • Michael Jordan
  • Oprah Winfrey
  • Mayor Richard Daley and his son, Mayor Richard Daley
  • The MOB - Capone, Giancanna, Dillinger

Fun Chicago Facts

  • Chicago Data
  • Chicago trivia

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A782264

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more