A Conversation for 'Ben Hur', the Condensed Version

I'm grateful to be proven not hopeless

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"If this extract from Ben Hur has not convinced you that you'd rather do almost anything but read this novel, you're hopeless."

So Ben-Hur's mother was a leper who was cured by Jesus?smiley - wow So the three Magi lived long enough after the manger scene to witness Jesus crucifixion? That's pushing the limits of credibility.

I admit that it's prudent to learn from history (or at last try), but I notice that putting historical material into the mix of contemporary items in the Post runs up against my expectation that what I will read is as contemporary as the other items. I tend to race through what I read, which is my problem, of course....

I checked on the 100 greatest novels website (top-heavy with 19th century warhorses), and found about two dozen titles I had already read. The ones I haven't read will probably stay unread, even in condensed form.

But if you wish to list some more condensed versions, I will be happy to read the condensations. smiley - smiley


I'm grateful to be proven not hopeless

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Your 'expectation' is totally unjustified. smiley - laugh The h2g2 Post has been running historical material as a public service for about the last decade, or about half of its existence. smiley - winkeye

If this is the first time you've noticed, it may explain why that copy of 'Captain Billy's Whizz-Bang' that you ordered never arrived.


I'm grateful to be proven not hopeless

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

No, it's not the first time I noticed. You can probably remember times when I have not been confused at all. As I mentioned in the subject line, I'm not totally hopeless. I just try to read too fast, that's all. As if it's a minute to midnight (figuratively speaking), and I'm not sure if I will make it to the end of what I'm reading.

I still buy green bananas, but maybe some day I will even stop doing that. (This is figurative as well. smiley - winkeye.)


I'm grateful to be proven not hopeless

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I have to confess, though, that I am a fan of barbershop renditions of songs that were popular more than 100 years ago. The barbershop link near the top of my Personal space contains a lot of them. And, I am fond of a century other than the 20th or 21st, though it is the 18th.

I didn't mean to seem hard on anyone for not covering contemporary concerns.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'Ben Hur', the Condensed Version

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more