A Conversation for Najopomo 2020: Gravepicking

November 16: On the road again

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Day 16:

It is early morning. Aggen is carefully loaded into the wagon. He looks just as bad as he did yesterday and despite their best efforts, he screams out several times when manhandled into his protective cradle. A visibly exhausted Yusna takes her place next to him on the wagon. Keela also joins her, looking only slightly less tired.

The Elders form a small farewell committee, adding more gifts to the already well filled wagon. After some hearty thanks, the group sets off. Pato is the first to take the reins, while the others walk beside the wagon and oxen, helping to lead the way.

Past the settlement, the going is much easier than it had been before. Frequent travel has created something that might even be called a road of sorts. Still, the wagon ride is far from smooth, but the suspended cradle seems to work as intended, dampening out impact by swinging instead. Within no time, Keela is lulled into sleep. Yusna wonders how she manages to do that and stays awake for Aggen.

Walking beside the oxen, Bora asks Vinco what will become of Yusna if Aggen were not to make it through this ordeal. Vinco is not sure at first, but then tells that she will be provided for by the rest of the family. He declines to further discuss the possible demise of his brother.

Keela dreams that she wakes up at night, to find out that Joni has turned into a wild stinking boar, urging her with grunts to scratch behind his ears before charging out into the night. She feels strangely relieved and continues to sleep, now with a smile on her face.

Pato changes places with Joni, to let him have a go at steering and to stretch his own legs. Joni takes this opportunity with both hands. He longs to be closer to his Keela and is glad to see her smile in her sleep. So far he has been unable to pinpoint the problem, but something seems to hold Keela back from really connecting with him. This is strange, since he was informed by her sisters that she really took a liking to him before leaving for the mountain. This morning she had been hidden under a large pile of blankets. When he removed those he had been exposed to The Look. He had no idea whatever that was meant to convey, but he had instinctively staggered back from it.

Aryna enjoys looking at their surroundings with Pato. They hold hands while pointing out interesting plants and birds to each other, trying to teach and learn the names in both languages, generally having a good time. Bora and Vinco join in later. Vinco still has some questions about Chieftainship he wants to discuss with Pato, so Bora and Aryna lag a little to the back of the wagon, so that they can speak in their own language without being too conspicuous.

After midday, on a particularly bouncy bit of road, Yusna realises she must have dozed off. She quickly checks Aggen. He looks kind of peaceful, with his eyes closed. It is only after the first drowsiness has worn off that she realises he doesn’t breathe anymore.

She screams.


November 16: On the road again

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - sadface You feel for these people - so few to carry such a burden.


November 16: On the road again

Post 3

FWR

smiley - sadfacesmiley - applause


November 16: On the road again

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Sometimes an author kills off a good character. smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more