The h2g2 Post 02.11.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 2nd November 2020

Time to Poke Holes in History!

Poking Holes in History, a montage by DG. It's that time of year again: the time when the weather turns lousy (except for Willem), and we all hunker down for some serious reading and writing. This year, our intrepid authors have undertaken to 'poke holes in history' – to find a less-travelled road in the byways of the past. You're going to get a chance to read what they're writing. Links and pictures can be found below. (Any latecomers, just add your links to the Create thread, and we'll feature you later in the month.)

The question arises: why bother?

Yeah, those who refuse to learn from history, yadda yadda. But you'd be amazed what we can find in there. See that montage? That represents just some of what I found rummaging around in the past of the area where I live now. It was amazing to see what has changed, and what hasn't.

The weird thing is: looking at the past, we gain perspective. We might possibly cure ourselves of some of our alien notions, such as that 'we know better now', or 'this current thing that's happening has never happened before.' It probably has. Maybe somebody back then had a good idea we could use.

Here's what you can find in this issue:

    A woodcutter's hut in Austria, by  Tavaron.
  • We still have wildlife and nature photos, also video evidence of natural beauty. Enjoy. Please praise our contributors for what they have photographed, and refrain from asking them about the kumquat tree that's not in the picture.
  • We have history tourism: everything from telephone lore to night letters. Plus, Tavaron takes us out to the Austrian forest to explore woodcutting and a smithy.
  • We have present-time tourism: Paigetheoracle shows us a ship, and invites us to title an inventive mural.
  • We have quizzes and challenges and opportunities for creativity. Please take advantage.
  • Minorvogonpoet's story of wartime France has begun. It's called 'A Place to Call Home'.
  • Freewayriding's epic tale set on the medieval Wirral, 'The Chase', is underway. Don your armour.
  • The Conestoga wagons are rolling in The Editor's 'Coming of Age in Brookville'. Monongahela whiskey 3 cents a glass. Hurry before the Temperance movement gets here.
  • Not featured in this issue, but also running in November: Tavaron's account of life in Vienna in 1880.
  • Also not featured this week but available to read: Caiman Raptor Elk's   Gravepicking. I think Caiman's gone the farthest back in time.
  • B4's ongoing story, 'Into You', goes on. Try and keep up! (Seriously, people are enjoying this.)
  • There are cartoons, comics, and features. Awix is here with cinema. Lots to read and do this week.


  • So, have History Thoughts. Talk to the writers and artists. Send more Stuff! And have a good week!


    Dmitri Gheorgheni



    Mailbox
    Write the Post at:
    postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
    Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
    @h2g2_Guide



    Quote of the Week: Post Editor: What time is it over there?

    Superfrenchie: We have this conversation twice a year, don't we?



    Create November 2020 by Freewayriding
    November Create Challenge:
    Holes in History


    Video Extra: Deer in the Glade


    DOMESTICALLY EXOTIC
    Great Auk

    Great Auk by Willem


    MINDSCAPES

    • Create
    • Poking holes in history.

    HOLES IN HISTORY

    Coming of Age
    in Brookville

    Brookville, PA, in 1840. A VERY small town.


    TAKING NOTES




    Cartoon Corner
    Corvid 19 by Willem.

    HUMOUR, SERIOUSLY
    STORYLINES


    The Post Office


    The home of the h2g2 Post team


    Back Issue Page



    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A87996992

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Credits

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more