The h2g2 Post 05.10.20

2 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 5th October 2020

Autumn Daze

Fred the squirrel relaxing on a stump, by DG.

Fred the black grey squirrel (long story) is here to tell you that October is a lovely month. That's when the daily and nightly aerial bombardment of the Post Office premises reaches its peak. Thunk, thunk! means:
  • The wind is stirring, or eager squirrels are in the branches of the black walnut trees.
  • The squirrels will have lots of yummy nuts to fight over. (Beware that mean red one!)
  • The backyard is now a hard-hat area.

Life is good for our four-legged friends, including Bambi, the night visitor whom I have surprised twice now. (She looks at me like, 'Why are you here?' I shrug.) If I don't meet the bear that occasionally mistakes the Post Office South Forty (feet) for the forest, I am content. Seymour the groundhog is looking fine and fat. Leaves are turning, days are shorter, and soon some of our buddies will be taking their winter naps, so for now they are enjoying the sunshine and abundant food. We should learn to be like them, and appreciate what's given us.

In that spirit, the h2g2 Post celebrates October with fun Stuff for you to enjoy, as outlined below.
Smug Brown Alpaca by DG.
  • Remember October's Create theme, which is about being a good ancestor. Send your thoughts to the Post, or celebrate your discoveries in Peer Review. For those of you writers who are looking forward eagerly to November's writing challenge, we have a special treat this week: a preview of the joys to come! This year's challenge is called 'Holes in History'. We invite you to pick a time and place in Earth's history. It has to be realistic, but it shouldn't be well-known. Pick up a few facts on the fringe of knowledge, make up some characters, and tell your tale. Read the instructions provided here, and direct your questions to the Post Editor. If the Post Editor can tell you haven't read the instructions before inquiring, you will be sent back to Go.
  • We have wildlife this week, in art, photo, and action-packed video. Some of the action is in Websailor's garden. Some of it is indoors in the Post Office. Bring your own popcorn.
  • Speaking of wildlife, Robbie Stamp has a haiku, and a photo to demonstrate his meaning.
  • B4's story 'Into You' enters its second episode. What will happen? We want to know.
  • Signs are all around us. Some of them carry weird warnings. Who knew how politically incorrect animals could be? Also, Minorvogonpoet reports on the spread of horticultural knowledge by Zoom.
  • Freewayriding brags on his dog and cat, and complains about bugs. I retort with the premiere of my new polka, 'Stay Out of My Halupke, Cabbage White.' Apologies to Septimus Winner (I stole the tune from him) and Weird Al Yankovic (the polka king).
  • All this and more, as the Usual Suspects bring you humour, cinema with a cephalopod, graphic fiction, opportunities for wit, and general thoughtiness. Respond accordingly.

You will want to squeeze all the luscious goodness out of this issue. After all, it contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals for a healthy mental diet. We'll be back next week with more Stuff. Have a great week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

– Willie Nelson

Create October 2020 by Freewayriding
October Create Challenge:
How to Be a Good Ancestor



Fred the Squirrel


BLUE SKIES
Javanese Wattled Lapwing

Javan Lapwing by Willem.

ALWAYS ON MY MIND

HELLO WALLS

Hide-and-Seek Among
the Mystery Flowers

Opie the dog and Jax the cat playing hide-and-seek among the mystery flowers, by Freewayriding.


ON THE ROAD AGAIN




Efficient
A sign for a tree service next to an open field, by DG.
CRAZY
MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN…


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87996956

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more