A Conversation for The Road Ahead

Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

bobstafford:

The road runs to the horizon, and the telephone lines and the roadside vegetation adds drama. The clouds at the end of the road adds depth and interest. An impressive landscape.

FWR:

In this shot, pause to appreciate DG's use of perspective and vanishing points, this stunning photo has a few tricks that really draw the eye.

Telegraph lines, the shape of the fields, and the narrow roadway, lead us to the horizon. The bare tree, in the centre, seems to be using the low clouds as leaves. The hint of the dashboard puts us in the frame.

Just a simple, but beautifully simple, shot.


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You were wise to pull over to the side of the road while you took the shot, Dmitri. smiley - ok

I'm reading a book about the early days of photography. Yesterday I read about Matthew Brady's assistant, who made a landmark photo of Confederate war dead along the side of a road near Antietam.
http://100photos.time.com/photos/alexander-gardner-dead-of-antietam

I'm glad there are no dead bodies in the photo shown today. The sky is infinitely fascinating and ever-changing.


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I'm glad there were no dead bodies on that road, too, Paul. I drove over it today. smiley - laugh Sometimes, though, there are Amish buggies.


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I saw Amish buggies when I was in Lancaster County in 2003.

Ann interesting factoid about the Trump surname is that it is rare in the general population, but pops up among the Amish.


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 5

cactuscafe

Love this highway.

I'm out there. Has to be black and white. Not the same if it was in colour. My highway journey is not of this world.

Heheh. Bob's pic gave me an out of body experience,now I'm on the otherworldly highway.

Vanishing point. Is a vanishing point a horizon?

Going to see Lucinda Williams in concert next week. She'd love this pic. She loves a road song. She is a road song.


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, this is another dramatic landscape scene that wouldn’t be the same in colour smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Great choice of vantage point so the photo really draws the viewer in towards the horizon


Comments: The Road Ahead

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"wouldn’t be the same in colour" [Sasha]

Those of us who have never seen it in person have no way of knowing whether there might be some wildflowers or colorful birds or silver clouds worth enjoying.

Of course, a colorful object might need to become a focal point in a color photo. Your photographer might get most of the scene in both pictures, but emphasize different things.smiley - shrug


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Road Ahead

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more