A Conversation for Mountainous

Comments: Mountainous

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

FWR says:

Sense of scale here is only apparent due to the tree in the background. The textures, almost lava-like, lend themselves well to monochrome.

The intense shadow of the fissure, at first glance, seems to be the elongated shadow of the photographer, or perhaps some imprint of a victim of Vesuvius, leading us into the shot and the waiting drop.

CRE's use of contrast highlights the holes in the rock, glimpses of vegetation adding to the unknown scale. The steel cables running through the shot throws further questions as to the height of the subject.

Not your average holiday snap!

bobstafford writes:

The rock formation looks as if it was a petrified lava flow.
A dramatic image well framed and the trees in the background enhanced the frozen flow.
A this was a difficult subject and this was a good result well done.


Comments: Mountainous

Post 2

cactuscafe

What????

Just reading these postings. I'm learning a new language here, the language of how to read a photograph from the vantage point of people who know about composition, and who know other very amazing facts about photography.

I love you all, and want your autographs.

smiley - rofl

Meanwhile, Caimain, here I am looking at this wonderful photo and wondering what to say because last week I was commenting on the black and white pics and realising that the monochrome medium has a very otherworldly effect on my brain and has currently rendered inadequate all my known language. smiley - rofl

It is a fine picture though. Are you pleased with it? Do you work often in the black and white medium?






Comments: Mountainous

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

What type of rocks are they, though? Are they easily eroded sedimentary rocks such as sandstone?


Comments: Mountainous

Post 4

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I do not usually do a lot with black and White photography.

As for the type of rocks, this is what the experts say:

The Karst topography on top of Colodri, shaped by dissolution of limestone, has formed a landscape well worth seeing. The pavement, consisting of sinkholes, vertikal shafts and structured rocks was formed by rain over thousands of years.


Comments: Mountainous

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

Limestone pavement! I'm pleased with myself because that's what I guessed.
smiley - biggrin


Comments: Mountainous

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Limestone? smiley - doh

It turns out to be partially soluble, especially in acid. smiley - blush

Watson: By Jove, Holmes, you are right again about limestone erosion. How do you reach these deductions?

Holmes: Sedimentary, my dear Watson.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mountainous

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more