Post Quiz: Snow - Answers
Snow. How much did you know about it? And have you shovelled your walk yet?
- What word means 'fear of snow'?
- Chionophobia. ('Chioni' is Greek for snow. Yes, they get some sometimes.)
- According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Center, what is snow?
- A mineral. (The NSIDC say, 'A mineral is a naturally occurring homogeneous solid, inorganically formed, with a definite chemical composition and an ordered atomic arrangement.' Go argue with them.)
- What causes pink snow?
- Algae. (Yep.)
- What record did 7600 Canadians set in Saskatoon on 31 January 2016?
- The biggest snowball fight in history. (They had nothing better to do in Saskatoon that winter.)
- What measure did the Syracuse, New York council pass in 1992?
- A law making snow illegal until Christmas Eve. (It snowed, anyway. Scofflaw.)
- What country holds the record for most snow in one day?
- Italy. (Capracotta, Italy, got 100.8 inches of snow in just 18 hours on 5 March 2015.)
- What is a snow roller?
- A rare meteorological phenomenon. (See the Edited Guide and the picture at the bottom of this page.)
- What is graupel?
- Another name for snow pellets. (Also called 'soft hail'.)
- What is a major difference between thundersnow and an ordinary rainy thunderstorm?
- Snow thunder can't be heard as far away as regular thunder. (The snow muffles the sound.)
- Which of these winter songs was recorded by The Walkmen?
Enough about snow. Get that shovel out.
|I'd rather roll in clover.|