Join the Q: A Murmuration of Starlings

0 Conversations

Join the Q: A Murmuration of Starlings

Join the Q logo.

As I said in my Entry about the Burton Mere nature reserve, it is worth visiting at different times of year to see different birds and also to experience different conditions. In particular, as winter is approaching, the sun sets relatively early so the nature reserve was still open at dusk when I visited recently.

The reserve staff had just announced that the Reception Hide would be closing in 15 minutes when they realised that some starlings were beginning to form a murmuration. They called everyone back to the windows and we all enjoyed the display as more and more birds gathered.

I took some photos, but realised they didn't do justice to the fascinating movement of the birds as they swooped and swirled around. I switched my camera to Movie mode and recorded the starlings until they finally swooped away and down into the trees to roost for the night.

Back at my computer the next day, I uploaded the recording into my video editing software and decided to explore what soundtracks were on offer within the software to accompany the visual display. By impressive coincidence, Pachelbel's Canon in D was exactly the same length as the video I had captured, and the music complemented the movement of the birds surprisingly well. Thus I present to you A Murmuration of Starlings.


Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

10.12.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87924441

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more