A Conversation for New Story for NajoPoMo!

Revenge Served Cold 22

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

During the school holiday, Andy took Jess to his parents house in Yorkshire. Mel found she missed both of them, leaving a life that seemed dull and grey. She spent the days at work and the evenings watching television. Although her work at the gym stretched to arranging events, none of them lifted her mood. She dreaded the approach of the anniversary of Darren's death. She found it difficult to stop herself running through the events of that day, wondering what could have been done to prevent the accident. Although she still hadn't forgiven Mark Sissons, thoughts of revenge had long been laid to rest.
One evening, Andy rang. “Jess is still with my mother but I wondered if you'd like a quiet evening together.”
“That would be good.”
As the evening approached, Mel found herself feeling guilty. Although it was ten months since Darren died, it seemed wrong, somehow, to spend the evening with another man. Nevertheless, she prepared carefully, choosing a green dress that emphasised the green in her eyes, and dithering over her choice of shoes. She met Andy at a tapas bar in the town centre.
“I sometimes meet clients for business here,”he said. “It's not pretentious but the food's good.”
To Mel's relief, the conversation flowed easily. They talked about their work and about their families. It turned out they had both moved south for work. Mel's family home had been in Manchester and she found she knew some of the same places as Andy.
At the end of a pleasant evening, Andy asked “Are you planning anything for Christmas?”
Mel pulled a face“I'm organising a Winter Snow event at the gym, but I'm not going to do anything for myself. I've got to get through the anniversary of Darren's death first”.
Andy nodded. “Anniversaries are the worst.”
For a while they sat in silence, then took Mel's hand. “Look Mel, I know you're still mourning Darren, but I'd like it if we could at least be friends.”
Mel smiled. “Yes I'd like that too.”


Key: Complain about this post

Revenge Served Cold 22

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more