A Conversation for New Story for NajoPoMo!

Revenge Served Cold 20

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Revenge Served Cold 20

A few days later, Mel started her job managing the new gym. She should have been enthusiastic, as the premises, in a warehouse building in the industrial estate, were large and airy. The gym comprised a light-filled dance studio and a space part-filled with exercise equipment. Her job was not only to promote existing sessions, but to arrange new acitivities and find new tutors. There were plenty of opportunities, from ball-skills sessions for children to Tai Chi for the elderly. However, she found it difficult to concentrate. She kept imagining Darren walking through the door, smiling at her and talking about his training sessions. It occurred to her she had never properly mourned for him, as she had rushed straight into her plans for revenge.
Darren's body had been cremated, so there was no grave, but she had arranged for a memorial plaque to be placed at the crematorium. On Sunday, she went to visit the crematorium, which was a pleasant place, with flower beds and mature trees. She found Darren's plaque and spent some minutes standing beside it. The time they had spent together had been too short but, on the whole, it had been good.
As she walked towards the car park, she saw Andy with Jess standing near another memorial plaque. Mel stopped and watched Jess bend down to place some flowers beside it. She didn't want to disturb this family occasion but, as Andy turned to say something to his daughter, he looked in Mel's direction and nodded. When father and daughter stepped back from the plaque, Mel walked slowly towards them.
“It's two years ago today that Clare died,”said Andy.
“Does it get any easier?”
“I still miss Mummy.” said Jess.
“ The grief doesn't go away but it becomes part of you, I think.”said Andy
They walked back to their cars in silence.


Key: Complain about this post

Revenge Served Cold 20

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more