The h2g2 Post 20.02.17

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 20th February 2017

Good News and Bad News and Fake News

A photograph by Aguado de las Marismas. No, that lady isn't telling us what she thinks of the US government these days. Well, she might be, but that's not why she's there. The beautifully evocative photograph, for some reason titled Woman Seen from the Back, was created in 1862 by a genius named Onésipe-Gonsalve Aguado de las Marismas, which is a really impressive name. We welcome this amusing artwork to our Editorial page in order to announce the stunningly happy-making news (to this Editor, at any rate) that the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, bless its little cotton socks, has released 375,000 artworks for free, unrestricted use by the public. That includes snarky derivative artists like moi and Freewayriding. You hear that, buddy? It's open season! Guess what you're going to see even more of in the coming months?

What do you mean, you don't like art jokes? Pah!

Do you like science fiction jokes? We hope so, because we have a lot of them this week. This is partly because you didn't send in enough highbrow Stuff, and the Editor had to make do with old pulp fiction. This was also partly because of this month's Create topic, which is Artificial Intelligence. We have lots of that for you this week. There's also some news on the very latest thing in AI – the new frontier, so to speak. It's called Artificial Intuition. Watch out, your Alexa knew I was going to say that. . .

We're almost pure snark this week. FWR's exciting saga of Bjorn Bottlesson (wonder where he got that name from?) and Leatherpants the Lost (ditto) continues, and the plot's really thickening. The management suggests you read with caution. This much weirdness can cause dizziness, headaches, and a general sense of disorientation.

Willem's got another blast-from-the-past extinct creature. This is not Fake News. It's good archaeology.

Speaking of good archaeology, we've dug up another spiffy literary gem from the IoW. You won't believe what it is. If you don't feel it makes you smarter, yell at Bluebottle. He's in charge of IoW refunds.

Awix has done some very brave research. He actually sat through a porn movie for us. We know you will appreciate his dedication. You will also enjoy this review. Probably more than you would enjoy the movie. [SPOILER ALERT] Awix does tell you a bit about who put what, where – like a helicopter. . .

Come caption the picture. I leaned out the bathroom window in the cold air for 30 whole seconds to produce it. The University of Texas calls that one the 'Noble Effort' fallacy. At least it's a logical fallacy, if a bit underhanded.

Icy North's our guest quizmaster this week. So all of you people who don't do the quizzes when I make them up, remember: it's your duty to support Icy's endeavours. If you give him enough positive feedback, he might take over the job, leaving me free to prowl around in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm sure that's another logical fallacy, but I'm too lazy to look up that website again.

Read, enjoy, comment, send Stuff so you don't get so many cartoons. And stay out of snowstorms this week.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

VISIONS OF THE PAST
  • Patriofelis by Willem.
  • A tribute to the first photograph.

MOSTLY FAKE NEWS

DEFINITELY FAKE CARTOONS

  • An engineer explaining the hokey pokey to robot aliens.
  • Butch the not so clever robot.

SERIOUS FUN
YOUR TURN
  • Create February  Challenge 2017.
  • The lion may lie down with the lamb, but nobody gets in bed with Trump supporters.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87883564

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more