A Conversation for I Couldn't Care Less: Look Both Ways

Being a carer

Post 1

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Benjamin, are you sure you're claiming all the right benefits? It can be a little bit (read very) daunting. I know, I've been there.

Let me know if I can help.


Being a carer

Post 2

benjaminpmoore

Hi Magwitch. I think we are, insofar as we have got what we applied for. We are challenging R's DLA and may get Carers Allowance for me if the result goes in our favour. We get housing benefit, I get JSA and R gets ESA. Not aware that we are entitled to anything else.
Thanks.


Being a carer

Post 3

Peanut

Hi Benjamin,

Do you have a pre-payment certificate?


Being a carer

Post 4

Researcher 14993127

Hi Benjamin, ask your Doctors or Pharmacist for form HC1. If you're on income related benefits and Housing Benefit you can claim for exemption from prescription charges using that form.
I get full help with all prescriptions, Dental costs and eye treatment, (opticians, glasses etc)
The help will vary depending on level of benefit but it sounds to me like you'd get full exemption. smiley - ok

{ex carer, now needing and getting help myself}

smiley - cat


Being a carer

Post 5

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

*If* your JSA is 'income based' you are eligible for Free Prescriptions, it's box K on the script.

Otherwise, when and if, you get Carer's Allowance any amount you 'earn' above £100 a week will be deducted from that Benefit it's currently around worth around £60 per week.

If you do get Carers Allowance, and can handle it. You could stop looking for work, become a Full Time Carer and claim Income Support instead of JSA.

You should really talk to someone at the Job Centre or CAB to see what your options are.

Good luck with your wife's DLA appeal. Lots of people I speak to in various groups are having successful appeals and it certanly sounds like your wife is *more* than eligible for that one.


Being a carer

Post 6

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Sorry for the double post, if your wife is in the support group, you should have no problem with the CA application.


Being a carer

Post 7

benjaminpmoore

Hi guys,

Right:
I have a prepayment certificate which I will need to renew shortly. I don't currently get by prescriptions paid as I am on contributions based JSA (which I think will soon change to income based) wife is on income based ESA so she does get her scripts paid for. Should be able to get CA providing we can get correct level of DLA which got harder since they recently tightened the requirements, but what can you do? Thanks for all the advice.


Being a carer

Post 8

Peanut

Yes I think you will be able to your 'scripts free in a couple of months

Do you have a good advisor and/or advocate, and access legal advice for going through the system?

I know you know 'the ropes' but it can make a huge difference to outcomes to having others climbing with you.


Being a carer

Post 9

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Once you do move on to income based JSA then your scripts *will* be free. So not long now.

If your wife is awarded either the Middle or Higher rate care component of DLA (or if it's PIP, either of the Daily Living components) then you would qualify for Carers Allowance providing you do not earn more that£100 per week.


Being a carer

Post 10

benjaminpmoore

Hi guys. Yeah we have a good advocate so we won't be going to r's tribunal alone, still hoping to be in work before the six month deadlines passes.


Being a carer

Post 11

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - goodluck with all your red-tape. It is difficult not to get distracted when you are a kind soul, but in the words of a forgotten musical I am sure the Raven would agree with the following lyrics:Button up your overcoat, when the wind blows free, baby take care of yourself, you belong to me.

http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/buttonup.html


smiley - smiley


Being a carer

Post 12

benjaminpmoore

She would agree with that in fact. She's asleep now though, so I can't check.


Key: Complain about this post