A Conversation for Titania's NaJoPoMo postings 2013

Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

So she won the Nobel prize in literature this year. And The Pocket Shop had a collection of her short stories. And since I've never read anything by her before, I thought I'd give it a go.

Several years ago, I read a collection of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (also Nobel prize winning author) and they were pretty good.

I also prefer Isaac Asimov in short story version - he tends to go on and on and on in the novel format.

So far, I find Alice Munro a bit confusing. I'm thinking the reason some people like her writings are based on nostalgia, or something similar. Or maybe you have to be American. I'm into my second short story, and it just keeps going on and on without any real red thread.

The first short story left me completely confused. To begin with, I got the personae all mixed up. I thought it was a young couple in love, and the young man's mother. Turned out it was a married couple and their daughter.

And then she breaks off in the middle of the story.

The last sentence, for crying out loud, goes:

'She just stood waiting for what ever had to come next.'

What kind of ending is that, I ask you?


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 3

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Enigmatic? or the perfect ending for people who cannot


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 4

Deb

Deb smiley - cheerup


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

pebbles, don't do that to me!

>>for people who cannot>>

cannot what? WHAT?


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 6

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

smiley - laugh Mwaahahahahaha


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - snowball

The second short story is turning out to be an endless hithering and dithering, like a drunk smiley - orangebutterfly


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

I'm about to finish the fourth short story, and I realize it's not my cup of smiley - tea

See, I dont' know what Alice Munro is trying to tell me.

It's not exciting
It's not entertaining
It's not humourus
It's not interesting
It's not educating

If anything, what these short stories (4 so far) seem to be to me is describing how futile life can be.

I'll try and finish the collection of short stories but then I'll put it in the 'pick-a-book-leave-a-book' shelf at the office.


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

Utter tosh. This author, no matter how great others think she is, is not my cup of smiley - tea.

'I lived when I was young at the end of a long road'

Eh?

*rearranges words*

'When I was young I lived at the end of a long road'

There, much better.

I don't recognize the people, the time, the place or the situations she's trying to describe. And not a single one of the short stories had a proper ending, she just stopped telling the story when she grew bored of it. At least that's the impression I got.

But obviously, others think she's great, so don't let my personal impression prevent you from enjoying her works.


Ti NaJoPoMo Nov 25th: Alice Munro

Post 10

Titania (gone for lunch)

Another way of putting it might be to say that other authors I've come across through all my years of reading are even better in the short format; short and precise.

Alice Munro isn't. Short and precise, that is. She's dithering. It takes her about thrice as many words to tell a simple story than I'd have used myself. But then, I'm not a Nobel prize winner.


Key: Complain about this post