A Conversation for Model Railways

A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 121

Bluebottle

Page Turner:

A87791700 - Project Page

A87791719 - Introduction
A87791728 - Glossary
A87791737 - Scales and Gauges
A87792105 - Baseboard Locations
A87798361 - The Trains
A87792114 - Themes
A87791746 - Layout
A87791755 - Scenery

A87791755 - Scenery section:
I've been doing a little digging around using search engines and model railway online help fora, and it seems that although small trains struggling on points is a common problem, it is sometimes, not always. (I suppose if you made a points which constantly de-railed everything that tried to use it, you'd go out of business quite quick.)

As for the signals, it looks like a smiley - canofworms. Light signals need continuous current to show the light, semaphores need electric pulses to raise or lower the arm. We could simply say something like 'you may wish to double-check compatibility before purchase and installing'...?

A87798361 - The Trains
I agree that the rolling stock section is better suited in this article. smiley - smiley
When moving sentences from one article to another, I do think that we should ensure that who wrote the original sentence is credited in the article that the phrase is moved to. If what was moved was 2-3 sentences, which I think was the case here, an 'Additional Research by' credit at the end should suffice. Any more than that and they should be credited as a co-author (but not without giving the author of the article is being moved to a chance to accept or refuse).

<BB<


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 122

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks BB smiley - biggrin

I've amended the electrofrog and signals paragraphs smiley - ok

I've added you as Additional Research By on the Trains Entry and added Florida Sailor as Additional Research By to the Scenery Entry for his paragraph about the sticky points smiley - ok


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 123

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I agree the 'Rolling Stock' paragraph fits well into the 'Trains' Entry. I have no objection to adding a joint Researcher credit to any of 'my' entries in this project, as I have always considered the whole to be a joint projectsmiley - smiley

My only concern is that it might be a conflict to my 'Special Trains' section. The only real confusion might be my mention of 'The Royal Scotsman' http://www.royalscotsman.com/web/rs/the_royal_scotsman.jsp, a modern service and the traditional h2g2 Entry on 'The Flying Scotsman' which I suspect probably inspired the modern service. A footnote might be appropriate. Any thoughts welcomesmiley - ok

F smiley - dolphin S


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 124

Bluebottle

'The Flying Scotsman' was the nickname of the express train service between London King's Cross and Edinburgh, which began in 1864 and, being the prime service between England and Scotland's capital cities, had a reputation for being the country's fastest train. In 1924 the famous engine 'The Flying Scotsman' was built, named after that route as it was built specifically for that service, and was the first recorded engine to break the 100mph barrier (although other engines have disputed claims to have done so earlier).
The express trains from London King's Cross to Edinburgh are still nicknamed 'The Flying Scotsman' even though the engine of that name hasn't operated a service on that route since around the early 60s.

<BB<


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 125

SashaQ - happysad

I think I'm confused by the Royal Scotsman smiley - erm

The website links to the "Orient Express" company, which is separate from the actual Orient Express. The company seems to own several vintage trains that it runs for special occasions across Britain and around the world (but not on the route of the Orient Express).

Is there something distinctive about the Royal Scotsman in particular? Extra information in the last section will help to avoid confusion, I think.

smiley - ok


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 126

Bluebottle

Ah - I see what you mean. I'll let Floridasmiley - dolphinSailor have the final say.

First there was the Flying Scotsman nickname given to the fast service between London and Edinburgh. This service started in 1864 and continues today. This led, in 1924, to the famous engine 'The Flying Scotsman' was made, the first engine to travel at over 100mph.

The Orient Express train company uses the 'Royal Scotsman' name to offer an annual train excursion that hark back to the glory days of steam when the Flying Scotsman engine was on the Flying Scotsman service. You get a week's tour of Britain's countryside in Scotland, England and Wales (but not the Isle of Wight, alas) with passengers travelling in luxurious Pullman carriages, visiting some of the mainland's most famous historic sites and staying overnight in quite fancy hotels.

<BB<


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 127

SashaQ - happysad

I think this Project is nearly ready for Peer Review

Just waiting for Florida Sailor's thoughts on this question...

smiley - biggrin


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 128

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - sorry for the delay, I have been considering the best way to proceed and I allowed myself to get distracted.

On one hand I thoroughly like the addition of the various kits available to the introduction, however I really like the collection of various trains near the end as a concluding thought. I modified my section slightly to expand my original thought and added a footnote for the 'Royal Scotsman'.

Below is my amended section, other thought welcome!
smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Special Trains


There are also several special classes of trains that have earned their own worldwide reputation. As with any international discussion there are bound to be those who disagree with these selections. Even if these trains are not offered as a stock kit, many modellers will modify existing units by adding custom artwork and details.



The Orient Express - Arguably the most famous train in western culture, this train started running between Paris and Istanbul in 1883 and continued in various forms until 2009. The claim to fame of this service was not speed, but luxury. The passengers enjoyed fine French cuisine and personal service across the width of Europe. The sleeping and dining cars were renowned for their accommodation.



Rovos Rail &ndash; Pride of Africa - This train offers a luxurious view of the exotic landscape of South Africa. Some available journeys extend well north into the heart of the veldt.



The Royal Scotsman - With accommodations restored to Edwardian style, this train offers several excursions including one that has stops in Scotland, England and Wales.A modern luxury service in the UK inspired by the 'Flying Scotsman' we have mentioned previously.



Circus Trains - The largest and most famous circus trains are probably the the two (red and blue) that belong to 'The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus'. These trains carry the hundreds of people, dozens of animals, tents and other equipment required for their performances. At each city or town the train is unloaded and the performers and animals form a large parade through the streets to the site of the show. This not only brings attention to the event, but is the most efficient way to move everything from the marshalling yard.








A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 129

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks FS - all updated smiley - ok

Are we ready to go?

smiley - biggrin


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 130

Bluebottle

smiley - ok Thumbs up from me.

<BB<


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 131

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - cheers


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 132

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - ok here

F smiley - dolphin S


A87791043 - Model Railways

Post 133

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - okF48874?thread=8304810


Key: Complain about this post