A Conversation for Cyberculture

Peer Review: A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 1

DudeStarship

Entry: Cyberculture - A87778651
Author: DudeStarship - U14997709

the Internet has no boundaries and is an international phenomenon. Thus a cyberculture can spring up very easily. a forum was the first primitive community but was / is linear. it may be multi threaded but each thead is exclusive. Of course it is 2D, like facebook, a network society. Second Life is a multi threaded avatar based 3D environment. You create a complex persona that is both cognitive and physical within the world. You interact at different levels at the same time in real time. You create. My essay illustrates Second Life and how it is a true cyberculture. Reality is discussed.


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 2

Z

Hi DudeStarship

Welcome h2g2, and I liked your first entry smiley - biggrin

It's an interesting perspective on reality and culture, it's very much a personal perspective, and there's nothing overly wrong with that, though most of the Edited Guide entries are written in the third person (as most entries in Guides and encyclopedias are). There are some articles which are personal perspectives, I'm sure the editors will be along to advise shortly. smiley - zen

I remember in the early days we had a 'world of h2g2' including a waterworks and lifeguard hut A358850 though we weren't allowed images from 2000 onwards, so we had to describe things in text.



A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 3

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi Dude! Welcome to Peer Review.

I think you have the start of an interesting Entry here. Well done.

First of all I apologize for writing so much. Don't be discouraged. I think this can get something good.

In my opinion you should think about making this an Entry about 2nd Life instead of general Cyberculture because I don't think it is enough to talk about only one aspect (2nd life) if you want to talk about Cyberculture as a whole. You would have to write about many, many different things like multiplayer games, forums, chatrooms etc I think that's too much for the start. But this could be a very good Entry about 2nd life in my opinion.

You should also startwith a bigger picture and not get into so much detail immediately. I have never been a member of 2nd life and know hardly anything about it and this is how you should treat your readers. Imagine that you are writing for someone who has no idea at all.
I think for instance that you get into too much detail with the profile. And don't talk so much about your own personal avatar, you should rather keep it general.

Under the assumption you write about 2nd life:

Tell more general things about chat rooms. How do you get from one chat room to the other? What if a chat room is full? (50 avarats seems really not much, does it? are there bigger ones?)
What dies 2nd life actually look like?
You should better explain about free and payed members and what they get.


'The best dance animations are made by filming real dancers and using stop motion techniques create animations.'
Do you mean motion capture? Stop motion is what you do with little puppets I think.
What are dance balls?

'Looking at second life we can see a commonalty that gives second life its culture. A society if you will...'
The things you list in this paragraph are technical 'limitations' like the profiles etc. I don't see that as culture. Culture is how people behave beyond these limitations. Culture can also differ widely from game to game, from chat to chat, from forum to forum. It also depends on how old a 'place' is. Although 'cyberculture' may seem quite homogeneous on first glance there can be big differences and coming from one game and entering the next you don't necessarily know immediatly how things are done.

'There is a multiplicity of nations yet all conform broadly to standards'
Do you mean real life nations or nations in the game?
'There are TOS which are adhered to.'
What is TOS?

How do you create your own home? How does it work exactly? Do you need programming skills?


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 4

Recumbentman

Terms of Service. (Thank you google)


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 5

Bluebottle

I thought this was a very good, subjective entry with a lot of potential. I agree with Tavaron da Quirm in that it could perhaps benefit from being focussed on Second Life specifically rather than Cyberculture as a whole, but I don't think that would make much difference.
As Tav stated, stop-motion animation is the frame-by-frame manipulation of an armatured model, distinct from Mo-Cap or Motion Capture, in which actual people's movement is monitored, recorded and recreated in computer-generated avatars.
I also wondered what you meant by ' I cried when my husband in IW asked me to marry him' – to me, IW is an abbreviation for Isle of Wight.

I hope that you will address these couple of minor points and the ones that Tav has raised as this is a unique entry written in your own style that I think works well. I look forward to reading more!

<BB<


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 6

Recumbentman

IW = in waiting? If so, needs to be written out.


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 7

noppy_dev

Hi DudeStarship!
After reading your entry, I found it very informative. It was very fruitful, and it would be a good addition to the guide. I noticed that many of the elements are those specific to Second Life. As Tavaron da Quirm said, I think that this would make a better entry as one specifically centered on Second Life. I think that you could move the link to your web page to the bottom of the link with an introduction to it saying something like 'To see what it is like, check out the videos on my web page:' I look forward to hopefully seeing this in the edited guide and hope you found this feedback useful!
Sincerely,
noppy_dev


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

thanks for your review noppy_dev! smiley - smiley
As DudeStarship has not replied to this conversation I am afraid that he is gone and will not return. smiley - sadface


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 9

Bluebottle

I suspect you are right, Tav, but he hasn't officially smiley - elvised yet. Hopefully he'll return within the next 2 or 3 weeks as this one has potential.

<BB<


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 10

Bluebottle

He has now officially smiley - elvised. Although it is borderline, I'd like to propose <./>Writing-Fleamarket</,>. It is very subjective, but in the right hands would make a very good entry on Second Life rather than Cyberculture as a whole.

<BB<


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 11

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Aye, Flea Market would be suitable smiley - ok


lil x


A87778651 - Cyberculture

Post 12

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I agree. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more