A Conversation for Learning to paraglide

Peer Review: A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Entry: Learning to paraglide - A87756673
Author: Hoovooloo - U114627

This is what I spend most of my time thinking about and a lot of my time doing, so if you've ever felt like doing it too, here's where to start.


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 2

Z

Great entry : thank you..


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oo... well I now know the differnce between handgliding and paragliding nice, well written, and reads through/flows well smiley - zensmiley - magic


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 4

Hoovooloo

Handgliding is when you stick your hand out of the window of a moving car and adjust the angle of attack to make it move up and down. It's a simple and effective lesson in aerodynamics.

HANG gliding (with a G) is the sport of hanging down underneath a semi-rigid wing and gliding about the place.


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 5

Bluebottle

I enjoyed reading this article very much smiley - ok. It has a much more personal and intimate feel than the only other article covering the subject, and provides information on speedflying

A902549 - Paragliding - a History and Brief Description

Out of curiosity, when you previously wrote about helmet cameras (A23499237), was it based on your paragliding experience? You could possibly mention that you can film yourself flying in the 'what next' section and link to that article.

This article is written well and is easy to read, but if at any time you'd like some help with GuideML, doing links, headers and lists etc then feel free to ask, we're always happy to help.

<BB<


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 6

Hoovooloo

Yes, the previous entry on helmet mount cameras was based on my first faltering steps with in-flight video recording.

Technology has come on in leaps and bounds since. Helmet cams are now lighter, cheaper, easier to use and better quality than ever before. For a little over £100 you can get a remote control wide angle camera shooting 30fps at 1080p HD, with a battery and memory card that lasts for up to four hours, complete with a range of mounting kit options. I love my new one, as anyone who's been to my Youtube channel can attest...


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 7

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - book

My only question would be, do you have to be physically quite strong to paraglide? Apartt from the effort of carrying the equipment to the top of the launch site, naturally. I mean how much effort does it require once you're launched?


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 8

Hoovooloo

Fixed that.

Answer is: pretty fit, at first, you'll be doing a lot of walking up hill with a heavy glider that's hard to ground handle because you don't know what you're doing.

Later, much less so. I now have a lighter pack than I've ever had (lighter glider and lighter harness than I used to use), ground handling is nowadays less like wrestling and more like dancing, and there are at least a couple of sites I use regularly where you can drive to the top and easily land at the top after flying.


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 9

Z

That's interesting, is that because you can get a lighter kit as you get more experienced or is it because the kit has been re-designed since you started?


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 10

Hoovooloo


Both. As it says in the entry, your first glider needs to stand up to the kind of abuse you'll give it before you have ground handling fully dialled. Robust = heavy. But even the robust gliders are getting lighter because of improvements in design and materials.


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 11

Z

smiley - blush

I hadn't made the robust = heavy link.


A87756673 - Learning to paraglide

Post 12

Vip

Great Entry! No comments from me. smiley - ok

smiley - fairy


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Congratulations!

smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Hoovooloo

smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi Hoovooloo smiley - smiley Do you maybe have a picture to go with this Entry? Would really be great.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Nudges the thread

Hi Hoo, maybe you didn't see Tav's request about photos, so I am bumping this up the queue again.

The Entry has been returned by the sub (h5ringer) and is marked pending - but we'd really like to use a photo if you have any available?

Can you let me know?

cheers

Lanzababy


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Hoovooloo

https://picasaweb.google.com/SonofRojBlake/Misc#5766188041694732882


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Hoovooloo

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LtjkrB7cSsGVPGn9HeArbNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thanks smiley - smiley

I have forwarded a copy of the photo to the Artists.


Key: Complain about this post